I just remembered why I hate eBay so much...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

mrpicholas
alignin' 24-trk

I just remembered why I hate eBay so much...

Post by mrpicholas » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:27 pm

I found a bunch of my old Opcode music software 3.5" floppies and manuals for long outdated programs and figured I'd list them on eBay and see what happens. I had a $0.99 opening bid and a $25.00 Buy it Now. I was surprised that it sold within a couple of hours for the Buy it Now price. I packed them all up and shipped them out the following day. What follows is the resulting email correspondence. Hopefully (HIM) is not a TapeOpper.

----------------------------------------------

Hello,
Got this today and when I opened everything the corner of one of the Galaxy disks was busted off..it looks like you may have dropped the package you put inside the box before you put it in the box because the box should have protected everything....anyways, since all the pieces were there, I very carefully glued everything back together, but have not had a chance to test it to see if it works yet...this damage was not mentioned in the listing and appears to have occurred on your end, so is it possible to get a partial refund to cover my time and effort to repair the item? I think that's fair to both of us.

Thanks, (HIM)

---------------------

Dear (HIM),

I can guarantee that all of the disks were sound when put in the first envelope. It may have been damaged in shipping, but I packed it well and insured for the full ($25.00) value. How much refund are you looking for?

- (ME)

------------------------

Dear (ME),

The box wasn't crushed or damaged, which is why I think it may have happened before you put it in the box, but really who knows for sure...

Whatever you think is fair...I leave it entirely up to you.

Thanks, (HIM)

-------------------------

Dear (HIM),

eBay calculated shipping to you in NY to be $18.87.? By sending USPS Flat Rate I was able to send it for just under $13.00.? What if I refund the difference?? Would a $5.92 refund be OK with you??

--(ME)

--------------------------------

Dear (ME),

Um, that would mean you ALSO overcharged me for shipping...so refunding me the overcharge for shipping doesn't account for the damage now does it? C'mon now!

- (HIM)

------------------------

Dear (HIM),

I am not comfortable with the way this conversation is headed.

You agreed to pay $25.00 + $18.87 shipping to receive these. I did not calculate these numbers, eBay did, based on weight and distance. I did my best to pack the items safely and ship them to you quickly and efficiently. I have noted the difference between calculated and actual shipping and am happy to refund this amount to you to cover whatever trouble this caused you. Or you can return the items and I'll refund the whole amount. I am sorry you are unhappy with this transaction and am trying to be reasonable but I am not looking to complicate this transaction any further.

Please let me know how to proceed.

--(ME)

------------------------

Dear (ME),

Do whatever you are comfortable with...or do nothing....you are WAY over-reacting....get a grip, I was only stating the obvious about the shipping. Keep all the money if it means that much to you.....sheesh.

- (HIM)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:27 pm

it looks like you may have dropped the package you put inside the box before you put it in the box
Sounds like you're selling to a guy I sold to awhile back! Same thing; item was damaged in shipping, I get accused of selling him broken stuff. This sucks, man; I'm sorry this is happening.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 pm

I'v made about 200 buys on Ebay in recent years - I don't sell - but I've had weird problems about 20 times.

Last week I bought a pad thing that you can use balanced or un-balanced. I installed it unbalanced and it didn't work.

I contacted the seller and got a little pushback from him that he had tested the item but would accept the return.

We then had some debate about who would pay for the return.

Got it straightened out - he was nice about it and suddenly recalled that when he tested the thing, he only did for balanced use, not unbalanced.

I shipped it off a cuppla days ago - hope I get my refund.

I've posted here before about Ebay stuff - you can UTSF - and had some lively debates.

Ultimately I think everyone's got to be patient, and, of course, honest. And sometimes tenacious.

Best of luck!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:54 am

Anyone wanting to know why I don't sell on eBay anymore?its crackpots like this buyer.

I would have told them to send it back, personally. Partial refund = scam.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:02 am

In my experience, ebay is a great place to buy, but a lousy place to sell.

I think there's a certain level of paranoia involved with any online transaction that isn't with a known, established business. On both sides. Just a general distrust... in some cases, based on experiences like the one above. Which leads to more experiences of similar kind. And so on.

I think it helps to put yourself in the other guy's shoes, and assume at first he's telling the truth. The inner box was damaged; the outer box wasn't... he figures the inner box was dropped. You know it wasn't; he doesn't know that... all he knows is it's damaged. His first response... to leave it up to you what to do seems fair and reasonable. It turns out you would have been better off not to mention the difference in shipping. Receiving damaged stuff triggered his ebay-paranoia, and he responded dickishly. Hey, he's human. Ebay-paranoia is cumulative if not kept in check. Give him whatever break you think he deserves, and move on. It's a box of floppy discs, not the Gaza strip.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:29 am

I used to sell on ebay quite a bit, .. but haven't in a few years.

Selling fees have gotten up there since.

I sold a Neumann 149 on there about a month ago. Cost $250 in fee's.
I crossed my fingers and luckily any grace period for someone making
any kind of claim has passed.. wipes sweat from brow...

I'd prefer selling/buying through recording forums if possible.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 am

Ha ha funny.....I sell quite a bit on ebay and just recently got my first negative feedback on a drum clamp that I had been using to mount some toms..
I stated in the ad that it would work with Gretsch drums (which it did...mine!). i sent it out and a few days later I checked my feedback and I had a NEG. The buyer stated that they "DID NOT" WORK WITH Gretsch drums, never contacted me..just left bad feedback....so I wrote him an email....

"This was used to mount a Gretsch tom for 2 years on my drumkit. If you are not happy or are having problems it would be helpful to contact me to resolve them. If you send the clamp back I will refund your money upon recieving it. If you would like to keep the clamp I would appreciate you removing the negative feedback left. I have been selling on Ebay for 10 years and this is the first time someone has left less than stellar feedback. Let me know how you intend to proceed."

And this was the response....

"So, I have done some research here and found that for Gretsch Catalinas, they use the smaller 10.5 mm L-Rod. Unfortunately, I have Renowns and it requires the 12.7 mm L-Rod. I will not be returning this item since it is not worth it. I will find some other use for it. Meanwhile, you can send a Feedback Revision Request. You can find the page to do so in :

My ebay ->Account Tab ->Feedback->Go to Feedback->Request Feedback Revision (on the right)

Once on that page, select the feedback you want revised and hit Send...you should do this right away..."

Unbelievable....knee jerk negative feedback. It all got sorted...he kept the mount and I got the neg removed but really?
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 am

TW...I agree on the fees being pretty high but I don't think there is another market that will give the exposure that ebay does. If you are willing to ship it...it truly is a world market. I horse trade a lot of gear...mostly low end stuff...thrift store finds etc. and if I buy right...I always seem to do OK. My best thrift store flip was a muzzle from a WW1 maxim machine gun. It was a 3$ paper weight at the local thrift. I sold it for close to 500$!! One of those a week and I'd be in business!!
Good Luck At Any Cost

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm

I just had a problem with a Korean seller refusing to combine shipping on two of the same item, even though in both auctions it says, "will combine shipping, just ask for invoice". I said I'd either buy one and cancel the other, or buy both if he'd combine shipping. He cancelled both. The message I got back said, "I fight you". I accepted one cancellation and declined the other, then paid for one. It's marked as "shipped" now... I just hope they don't try to fuck me.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 pm

I think the fees are 10% now, and that doesn't include paypal fees. Paypal and ebay are jointly owned. Seems to me it would be a smart move to waive paypal fees for ebay transactions. I guess they're just too greedy. Short-sighted in the long run, IMO.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:45 pm

What do you all think about the seller offering a full refund, less the return postage?

I'm again having that dispute (this time re a "new" dress shirt that is not only worn and stained, but has some holes where they re-applied the tags.)

My position is, I am not your quality control officer, and while I don't accuse you of intentionally ripping me off by sending such a obviously mis-labeled item, to make me pay postage would be a rip-off.

Not to mention consistent with intentionally ripping me off by sending such a obviously mis-labeled item. :x
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm

I think if it's an hustle I would try to fight paying shipping but if it's an honest mistake....well.... Just sometimes it's hard to tell. My favorite is "no way to test" so being sold as-is. That one always gets me. A stained shirt though......seems like an ass move on the seller's part. I would likely fight tooth and nail for shipping....or maybe not.

I am currently waiting on a D12 that "works fine". They almost never "work fine" I lucked out on my last one....it's case was beat and it was untested...I gambled and got an amazing D12 for 80$ The one I am waiting on "works fine" with some flaws in the case/mount. I hope our definition of "works fine" means the same thing.....like proper bass response. In this case there is a return policy (the only reason I bought it) and if it's off.. well, I don't mind paying return shipping. I'm gambling. I know the risks with these mics and 8 dollars in shipping doesn't feel like too much of a loss considering I may score a great mic for relatively cheap. It's Ebay....buyer beware.
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 pm

I hear ya, and I doubt that it's all fraud - it's probably mostly incompetence and/or laziness, but why should the buyer have to pay for that?

If ya missed it, I posted about a clear fraud involving a mic, here. In that instance, even if it was incompetence that caused 'em to sell it to me as "great condition", they re-listed it saying the same!

I wonder whatever happened to the second buyer, who actually came here to discuss it in the thread.

njmusicplace - caveat emptor and fuck 'em for thieves.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.