Job Opening-Audio Producer for Ad Agency

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Post Reply
MMG
audio school
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Job Opening-Audio Producer for Ad Agency

Post by MMG » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Busy Philadelphia-area (South-Jersey) Ad Agency and post-production facility seeks full-time Audio Producer.

Some of the responsibilities of this position are:
-Selection of music for tv, radio commercials
- Oversee mass media audio production
- Work closely with creative team to develop branding
- Proofread scripts, creative direction
- Contract, schedule, and direct Voice Over (VO) talent recording sessions
- Operate recording studio hardware & software
- Accept, review, and submit VO invoices
- Edit, mix, and master: VO audio, music, and sound effects
- Maintain audio archive

This is a full-time studio position (not freelance) with benefits and requires work on-site. No remote work.

Candidate should have a minimum of 1 year, professional, paid work experience and be comfortable in fast paced, deadline driven work environment. You should be be a "self starter" with great ears and work ethic, the ability to maintain a schedule and meet deadlines, and good communication skills (i.e. responding positively to criticism) Ability to work in a team setting is critical to this position.

Successful candidate will need to start immediately.

Candidates must be local to Philadelphia for in-person interview and must be eligible for full-time employment within the U.S.

Submission Details
Online samples/portfolio REQUIRED for consideration. Contact via PM on this Tape Op Message Board.

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:56 pm

It looks like you're trying to roll Audio Engineer, Producer, Strategist, Proofreader and at least 2 Business Manager positions into one entry-level (only one year of pro experience required?) job opening. Is there anyone else in the broadcast production department?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 pm

*Must be willing to burn out in 8 months. :)
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

kslight
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Come on guys?don't be so negative?its always possible that this business is so dead that it only takes one person to do all that? Or perhaps you would work 16 hour shifts?

I always personally love employers who won't post the compensation rate, because there is nothing like wasting my time drafting cover letters and tweaking resumes, following up, pressing suits, scheduling interviews?only to find out that the employer's desired rate of pay is maxed out at 60% my current rate (which if I could afford to take a pay cut, I probably wouldn't be seeking a new job in the first place?). This process continues despite of course me plainly putting my salary requirements in the cover letter?why waste both of our time?

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:01 am

I'm honestly not trying to be negative. I'm genuinely puzzled at this job notice and would love for the OP to come back and clarify what s/he is looking for.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist
Posts: 6327
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:15 am

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:30 pm

kslight wrote:I always personally love employers who won't post the compensation rate
back when i was working a day job, i was a temp....i applied for a full-time position...had an interview with the HR lady, which was going just fine. then she asked if i had any questions. i said "just one, really...what's the salary range?"

she wouldn't tell me. i asked several times. nope. i said "you can't give me a ballpark figure 10 grand either way?"

nope.

she said "what are your salary requirements?"

"well if you're not going to tell me what the range is, i need $100,000 a year."
"we obviously can't pay you that much!"

i shrugged and walked out.

didn't get the job. :D

kslight
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Post by kslight » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:26 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
kslight wrote:I always personally love employers who won't post the compensation rate
back when i was working a day job, i was a temp....i applied for a full-time position...had an interview with the HR lady, which was going just fine. then she asked if i had any questions. i said "just one, really...what's the salary range?"

she wouldn't tell me. i asked several times. nope. i said "you can't give me a ballpark figure 10 grand either way?"

nope.

she said "what are your salary requirements?"

"well if you're not going to tell me what the range is, i need $100,000 a year."
"we obviously can't pay you that much!"

i shrugged and walked out.

didn't get the job. :D
I feel like maybe we have met the same HR person!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist
Posts: 6327
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:15 am

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 pm

her last name was Cossaboom. she was extremely..uh...busty.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6688
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:16 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
kslight wrote:I always personally love employers who won't post the compensation rate
back when i was working a day job, i was a temp....i applied for a full-time position...had an interview with the HR lady, which was going just fine. then she asked if i had any questions. i said "just one, really...what's the salary range?"

she wouldn't tell me. i asked several times. nope. i said "you can't give me a ballpark figure 10 grand either way?"

nope.

she said "what are your salary requirements?"

"well if you're not going to tell me what the range is, i need $100,000 a year."
"we obviously can't pay you that much!"

i shrugged and walked out.

didn't get the job. :D
You're my hero

User avatar
ott0bot
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2023
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 pm
Location: Downtown Phoenix

Post by ott0bot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:36 am

It sounds like all the jobs here, except they also add video production to the list of things you need to be an expert in. Only here brazenly list the pay...generally $10 an hour...oh and it's seasonal. :shock:

Let me set the record straight. Audio & video are actually two separate things. Audio/Video is the input jack on a VCR, not a realistic job title.

This is why I work a normal day job & freelance...and why all the local adds sound like complete garbage. The poor guy they got to do this job is probably fresh out if college and has no idea how to so any of this properly....he just isn't aware he's doing the job of 10 people.

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:54 pm

ott0bot wrote: Let me set the record straight. Audio & video are actually two separate things. Audio/Video is the input jack on a VCR, not a realistic job title.
I wish I could agree with that more than just in principle. I know a few audio guys who have had to learn video and add it to their workload when their postproduction department got downsized...and this is at Fortune 500 companies in a major market. In a perfect world, you're right ? they are 2 separate disciplines and should be 2 separate jobs. Ain't always the case unfortunately.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
ott0bot
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2023
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 pm
Location: Downtown Phoenix

Post by ott0bot » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:20 am

JGriffin_formerlyDWLB wrote:
ott0bot wrote: Let me set the record straight. Audio & video are actually two separate things. Audio/Video is the input jack on a VCR, not a realistic job title.
I wish I could agree with that more than just in principle. I know a few audio guys who have had to learn video and add it to their workload when their postproduction department got downsized...and this is at Fortune 500 companies in a major market. In a perfect world, you're right ? they are 2 separate disciplines and should be 2 separate jobs. Ain't always the case unfortunately.
...yeah, just being a bit snarky. It depends on the actual job & workload...but generally the places I'm referring to here expect you to do everything just assuming that it's basically the same thing. I have interveiwed with several of these places...and been offered jobs saying I will learn it as I go...but being offered a very low wage, and less than full time hours guaranteed. I've had to decline...since I have a family to support.

I'm not sure about you, but I only know one guy (my old teacher) who was an actual expert in both fields. But again, it was a work situation that forced it. He didn't train to be both and try to land and audio/video job...it just kinda happened.

It's a jack off of all trades, master of none situation. From my experience, when one person does both there are usually compromises.

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:38 am

ott0bot wrote:
JGriffin_formerlyDWLB wrote:
ott0bot wrote: Let me set the record straight. Audio & video are actually two separate things. Audio/Video is the input jack on a VCR, not a realistic job title.
I wish I could agree with that more than just in principle. I know a few audio guys who have had to learn video and add it to their workload when their postproduction department got downsized...and this is at Fortune 500 companies in a major market. In a perfect world, you're right ? they are 2 separate disciplines and should be 2 separate jobs. Ain't always the case unfortunately.
...yeah, just being a bit snarky. It depends on the actual job & workload...but generally the places I'm referring to here expect you to do everything just assuming that it's basically the same thing. I have interveiwed with several of these places...and been offered jobs saying I will learn it as I go...but being offered a very low wage, and less than full time hours guaranteed. I've had to decline...since I have a family to support.

I'm not sure about you, but I only know one guy (my old teacher) who was an actual expert in both fields. But again, it was a work situation that forced it. He didn't train to be both and try to land and audio/video job...it just kinda happened.

It's a jack off of all trades, master of none situation. From my experience, when one person does both there are usually compromises.
Absolutely. Most folks who have to wear both hats are really good at one, and somewhat good at the other.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest