JH-16 Analog Love Letter Part I

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

bleachbro
audio school

JH-16 Analog Love Letter Part I

Post by bleachbro » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Sharing the joy. Chris Mara had been on my radar for a while - and it was always a dream of ours to return to analog multitrack - then he said something to me last December (2013) that set off a big change for our place. :)

The video hopefully shares a bit of our "analog swoon" - and I figure there are some here that can relate! Enjoy!

- Scott

http://scottfrankfurtstudio.com/the-latest

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:40 am

Nice video, nice tape deck!

bleachbro
audio school

Post by bleachbro » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks blungo2!

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:13 am

For a while now i've been considering a Mara 8 track. I have an Otari 1/2" 4 track that i love, but it would be nice to have a few more tracks.
I'm just scared about shipping...

bleachbro
audio school

Post by bleachbro » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:19 am

Understood.

Not sure where you are relative to Nashville, but for a data point - ours was shipped Nashville to LA. There were a few issues - but the Mara team is helpful and we sorted the hiccups pretty quickly. Basically amounted to re-seating a couple cards, and changing one socket mounted IC.

For us - so worth it.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm far away, Reno NV.
I know vintage king sells Mara machines. If vintage king LA carried them, i could drive down and pick one up.

bleachbro
audio school

Post by bleachbro » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:27 pm

They do. I'd give them a call. The 8-track has less electronics too (I assume) - which will make it even less susceptible to any issues regarding freight. Good luck! I hope to have more Mara Machines in my future.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Oh that's cool! I can't even think about spending that much right now though, next spring or summer maybe. Just bought what for me is a very expensive ad/da and microphone.

Thanks for the heads up!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Great video, Scott!

What do you have going on on the front wall of your control room?

bleachbro
audio school

Post by bleachbro » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks!

On that wall, the upper half (above the trapping is stone. It's a relatively recent modification a couple years back. I was fortunate enough to consult George Augsperger on that decision, when we were looking for a solution to increase diffusion on that wall.

The unforeseen benefit was the added mass (to an already heavy wall) which gave us some low tightening too. It's an interlocking product, a coupe inches thick, and they installed the whole thing in about a day!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:43 pm

bleachbro wrote:Thanks!

On that wall, the upper half (above the trapping is stone. It's a relatively recent modification a couple years back. I was fortunate enough to consult George Augsperger on that decision, when we were looking for a solution to increase diffusion on that wall.

The unforeseen benefit was the added mass (to an already heavy wall) which gave us some low tightening too. It's an interlocking product, a coupe inches thick, and they installed the whole thing in about a day!
It looks great, and I assume helps quite a bit. Do you have the product name? Is it something that can be gotten at Lowes or Home depot type stores?