Electrical Technician looking for opportunities

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

DEMOn1n3
audio school graduate

Electrical Technician looking for opportunities

Post by DEMOn1n3 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:27 pm

Hello
I am currently a student in an Electrical Engineering Technology program.
I will be graduating with my associates in the spring and I am trying to figure out where to go. I dont think continuing directly full-time to get a bachelors is right for me and I am trying to find a resource for possible job opportunities.

I have built my own guitar rig including tube amp, guitar, and several pedals, along with doing some freelance repair work for friends. Most notably I worked as an intern this past summer for McIntosh Labs as a service technician, so I do have experience working with audio electronics.

I am having a hard time finding info about companies that may have positions available. If anyone has any leads to positions or better places to look that would be much appreciated.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:16 am

You would probably get more helpful responses if you declared your location, or where you hope to be employed, at least.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:26 am

And start using your real name whenever you post anything related to your professional life anywhere. Right now you got no shot at someone going, "Oh man, I really need to hire a tech, who was that guy on Tape Op that was lookin' for a gig?"

Just my $0.02.

My name is Carl Keil, and I live in Portland, OR. BTW.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 pm

If you've got an in at MacIntosh, start there.

Check the websites of companies you're interested for postings, refresh frequently. Start using Dice.com. If you're committed to music-related-only stuff, it's going to be a lot tighter market.

My employer is hiring - if you know your stuff, there's room to advance:

https://www.sparkfun.com/jobs/14
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

DEMOn1n3
audio school graduate

Post by DEMOn1n3 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks for the input.
My name is Joby Springsteen and I am currently in the Binghamton NY area but I am open to possibly moving to a new area.
When it comes to where I would want to relocate, I don't know really. This was just kind of a feeler to see where I might find some possibilities.
I'll check out that website in the meantime.
The few websites I checked for companies didn't seem to have a specific line for job related contact, should I just use what is there and find out who to talk to then?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Every company is different.

Some update their job postings on their websites regularly. Some companies (often smaller companies) don't want to have to update their websites, so postings don't go up there...or they truly have no openings. They might use Monster or Dice or Craigslist...

One way to see how they do it is simply call them up, and ask how they do their listings. Sometime's they'll be grumpy about you calling, sometimes you'll learn some valuable tidbits about where to look or who to talk to.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."