Fort Collins CO

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

jspartz
buyin' gear

Fort Collins CO

Post by jspartz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Looks like I will be spending a few days in Fort Collins CO. What are the highlights? Any shops, bars, studios, music stores or other must see sights in the area? I've been to Boulder and Denver but never Fort Collins. Any suggestions? How about places to eat as well?

Thanks.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Somehow I totally missed this, I hope you haven't been yet.

Head downtown - lots happening there on any given evening.

I head to Big City Burrito, just south of downtown, when I'm looking for a bite.

There an OK drum shop downtown, too. I'm not sure about any of the other music shops...the other independents seem to have closed in the wake of GC moving in.

Bill Stevenson's Blasting Room is probably the most notable studio, I'm not sure whether they're open to visitors or not.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Oh yeah, there's also Spotlight Music at College & Harmony. Mostly a guitar store, with a few drums in a smaller room off to the side. They also have a performance venue & coffeebar there.
"What fer?"

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Another couple weeks until I get out there. Thanks for the tips. I'm curious to see the sights and find some good food.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:46 pm

TheScum, there used to be a big "5-Star" drum shop in FC, wasn't there? Or am I mistaken? I was only out there once...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Yeah, that's the one downtown.

I don't know what sort of shape it's in these days - it's been a year or more since I was in there. Lots of Exports and Rockstars last I recall. I think GC put the squeeze on 'em. I don't know if they're still 5-star or not.

I also live in Denver, about a mile from Drum City, so I don't go out of my way from drum shops much these days.
"What fer?"