experiences with aardvark mastering or brooklyn phono?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

experiences with aardvark mastering or brooklyn phono?

Post by dfuruta » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:08 am

Anyone have experiences they'd be willing to share with Aardvark for lacquer cutting or Brooklyn Phono for vinyl pressing? I'm looking to do a small run of records, and this seems like the most likely way.

Thanks!
Daniel

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

+1

Post by lukievan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:35 am

I'm also curious about this - thanks for posting. Anybody have any insights?

ChrisNW
gettin' sounds

Post by ChrisNW » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:06 pm

I've heard good things about Brooklyn Phono, but haven't used them myself. I'm told they do great work, but can be a little slow on the turnaround.
Audio Mastering in Portland, OR
www.vitamastering.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 am

Used brooklyn phono about 5 years ago on an album, but fuck if I can remember what the process was like, or like who even did the vinyl mastering. I think we had them make the lacquer themselves but I could be wrong about that.

I DO know that I'm happy with the product now. Sorry this ain't more useful. If I can recall more I'll get back to you...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:10 am

DrummerMan wrote: I DO know that I'm happy with the product now. Sorry this ain't more useful. If I can recall more I'll get back to you...
Hey, that's the important thing! Do you remember if you used reclaimed or virgin vinyl?

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:35 am

dfuruta wrote:
DrummerMan wrote: I DO know that I'm happy with the product now. Sorry this ain't more useful. If I can recall more I'll get back to you...
Hey, that's the important thing! Do you remember if you used reclaimed or virgin vinyl?
I don't remember reclaimed being an option so I'd guess that it was virgin.

Apparently, they were running a special at the time including master cutting so that seems like what I must have done.

I wish I could remember whether or not we had it separately mastered for vinyl. One would think that we would have, but I seem to just remember having conversations about it with the mastering guy the label wanted us to use for the digital release.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm

had i record i mastered pressed at brooklyn phono a few years back. one of the engineers called me....there was a track missing or something....anyway, he was super nice, complimented my work, and the record turned out really great.

have heard good things about aardvark as well, and i'm sure some things i've done have been pressed there, but i've no direct experience.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Contact Paul at saltmastering.com. Brooklyn

Great prices and product. gl

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:23 pm

thanks for the tips! mse, trying to plan out that mostly acoustic one you mastered a few years back...

waltz, i've heard good things about salt mastering. i guess i like that aardvark has such a good history with bizarre music. doesn't hurt that they're so cheap, too.