Prince's Vault

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vvv
zen recordist

Prince's Vault

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:07 pm

I found this interesting, including the vids:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31962180
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:28 pm

I have something to add to this myth.

A couple of years ago on a Sunday the studio owner of one of the places I work at got a call. It was Paisley Park, and they were out of tape...Prince wanted to record, and they wanted him to drive up (my friends studio is in NW Iowa) and sell them his tape. My friends studio has been around since the 70s (and stayed essentially the same since!), never was a big name, but I guess must have been on the short list of studios within 300 miles running 2" only.

They said he'd be well compensated, and could meet Prince.

He thought about it...but ultimately declined.

:-)

So not only does Prince have a vault, but he must still work on tape.

On another note, this process sounds a lot like that of a celebrity client of mine, who
has a huge amount of archive versus released material.

I follow a lot of it myself.

As a lifelong musician, you don't always (or even usually) write hits or songs that seem commercially worthy, but you do keep writing. Sometimes these tunes gain purpose, sometimes they get ideas reused...sometimes not. The idea is, at least for me, to keep active and exploring, stay fresh and in routine. How many times does a painter practice? Same thing.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Absolutely!

In one of the later interviews the drummer talks of the mystique of the vault, even as one of his engineers talks about the value of hearing everything to witness his creativity and process.

I'm a pretty prolific writer, me (see below) - I really need to self -edit what I post, but since it's just for my pleasure, I just post everything. I mean, I figger all y'all can ignore 100 songs as easy as 10! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Yeah, I put out about 48 songs last year, not to mention everything else I wrote for other projects presently unreleased.

My drummer and I wrote a song maybe 4-5 years ago but never could make it work right, a good rocker but I wasn't the right singer. We land a singer, we turn the song into the theme song for a movie he's directing?the producers love it, and are sold on its hooks long before the movie even got funded? There's always a purpose, just not always clear?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:25 am

Cool post. He's my fave. My current band is covering Let's Go Crazy. We've been working on the arrangement for a month now, and we're... Pretty close. For a Prince jam. (I'm doing most of the guitar soloing on my Kurzweil. :) )

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:55 pm

If you're fascinated by Prince, you might like this rather long-winded Kevin Smith story about working with him on something that wound up "in the vault."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_cLJ19HMg
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:48 pm

How fun would it be to comb through that vault?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:15 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:If you're fascinated by Prince, you might like this rather long-winded Kevin Smith story about working with him on something that wound up "in the vault."

I just saw Kevin Smith a couple weeks ago and there are no stories that aren't long winded :-)

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:24 am

toure wrote a great book on prince recently, good read if you dig prince.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:10 pm

kslight wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:If you're fascinated by Prince, you might like this rather long-winded Kevin Smith story about working with him on something that wound up "in the vault."

I just saw Kevin Smith a couple weeks ago and there are no stories that aren't long winded :-)
I had to stop following him on Twitter because he does not mix well with 140 characters.