Best of Portland?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Best of Portland?

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:44 am

Time to vote for Jackpot! Recording as Portland's Best Studio! The other places are our friends, but we gotta win. http://www.wweek.com/portland/top200ww
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Neil Weir
pushin' record

Post by Neil Weir » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:40 pm

I did an 8 day recording session at Jackpot! in March and I'm doing a few more days with another band this fall. It was an absolutely wonderful experience and I look forward to coming back.

I was especially impressed with how well everything was set up for an outside engineer to easily figure out. I think I texted Kendra once when I couldn't find a MIDI cable, which, of course, was hanging from a hook labelled "MIDI cables."

Everything worked, too. The ins-over-outs patchbay configuration threw me for a loop at first but I quickly adjusted to to it. I'm looking forward to trying out that second Retro 176 that showed up when we were mixing.

Big hits with the band and me..
The EMT plate
Fulltone Tape Delay on vocals and Moog
The Nashville-strung acoustic
That Magnatone amp paired with an AC30 or V4B on guitars
JH-110 as a predelay on the plate
Mojave MA-100SPs on toms
The clarity and depth of the 5088 at conservative levels and the saturation when you push it
The Roland Dimension D
The fancy coffee maker and the new place around the corner with good bahn mi sandwiches. That guy had something hilarious and friendly to say every time we went in there.

I voted.
Neil Weir