Looking for Pop producer/studio - Navajo Nation (NW Arizona)

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Looking for Pop producer/studio - Navajo Nation (NW Arizona)

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Hello all,

My wife's cousin is an aspiring pop musician. He is looking for a studio to mix, master, and add strings to a song of his. He has very little experience with the process, but has been making songs in garage band.

He needs quite a bit of help as far as arrangement, vocal coaching, etc. I have been giving him some advice, but pop music in the vain of Katy Perry is not my forte.

He is located in a rural part of the Navajo Nation, and doesn't have much of a budget.

Does anyone have any connections to reputable studios or know of a an honest producer (I know, right) anywhere near the Navajo Nation? Gallup or Farmington, NM would be ok. ABQ is probably a stretch, but it might work.

if you are that person, PM me for details.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:25 pm

Hey ottobot,
I live in this area but I'm no pop produca. Mandolin family instruments are my thing. This is a great wasteland of no broadband, very few real studios, and generally "100 miles from nowhere" as Peter Rowan put it in a song. Albuquerque might be his best bet. I'm working with Empty House Studio in Alb on mixing an Americana project I'm involved with. Have him get in touch with Matthew and see if this is something he could help with. Matthew has good ears. Tell him Don from The Billyhawks referred him. But don't get in line in front of me. :wink:

What is he doing out here? Teacher, lawyer or doctor? Or Native? that's about all the options.

Don

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:48 pm

dgrieser wrote:Hey ottobot,
I live in this area but I'm no pop produca. Mandolin family instruments are my thing. This is a great wasteland of no broadband, very few real studios, and generally "100 miles from nowhere" as Peter Rowan put it in a song. Albuquerque might be his best bet. I'm working with Empty House Studio in Alb on mixing an Americana project I'm involved with. Have him get in touch with Matthew and see if this is something he could help with. Matthew has good ears. Tell him Don from The Billyhawks referred him. But don't get in line in front of me. :wink:

What is he doing out here? Teacher, lawyer or doctor? Or Native? that's about all the options.

Don
Haha. I said cousin, so you should know that he's Navajo. My wife is from Window Rock (she's Navajo).

Yeah, not much that I can find either...except for Native Folk music. He's a a transgender pop/electronic musician...so not exactly something common around there.

He needs quite a bit of help, and being that my expertise is more in the folk/country/indie field, it's not something I'd be able to help with...also just had a brand new baby.... no time. I will pass on the message and see if he wants to reach out, if ABQ is ok with him.

thanks for the reply.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:39 am

If you had said cousin brother, I would have known he was Navajo. :D

Actually, I just thought of a studio in Gallup that might work. It's run by Knifewing who has been involved in many different aspects of the Native music scene and pretty active in recording Native artists.. Not sure if he's done any pop/electronica, but it's worth a call. His site is www.nativestars.com

Congrats on the new baby!

Cool to find someone else on here connected to this part of the world.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:20 am

dgrieser wrote:If you had said cousin brother, I would have known he was Navajo. :D

Actually, I just thought of a studio in Gallup that might work. It's run by Knifewing who has been involved in many different aspects of the Native music scene and pretty active in recording Native artists.. Not sure if he's done any pop/electronica, but it's worth a call. His site is www.nativestars.com

Congrats on the new baby!

Cool to find someone else on here connected to this part of the world.

Thanks again! This is much more what I was thinking, and there is a mention of two spirit (one spirit, two worlds)....so hopefully no judgement in that end.

I will pass this on, and have him reach out, so he can see if they have any experience with pop music, and can guide him in the right direction.

I appreciate all the help!