F@ckin New York

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:06 pm

When I was a teenager it was a dream of mine to move from Indiana to NYC and be apart of the amazing history of music that has come from that city. Since then I've toured all over the country with bands based out of the midwest, while rent in NY has gone up and up and up and at this point I don't see how people do it. There's over 8 million people living there so people have figured it out, but damn? How?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:46 am

i've always wondered that too.

good friends of mine were living in brooklyn circa '99-'01, i remember them saying "everyone we know here has a trust fund". and brooklyn was probably cheap then compared to now!

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Took another walk this Saturday morning, Manhattan real estate eats its young. Vacancies all over the place.
Ivan the Threadstopper

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:38 pm

"Greed is good." Gordon Gecko.

NY will go down soon enough, the housing bubble nationwide is getting larger than the one in 2007.
Because politicians did nothing to stop Wall St. from doing it again.

Brace yourselves, it's gonna be fun.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:01 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:"Greed is good." Gordon Gecko.

NY will go down soon enough, the housing bubble nationwide is getting larger than the one in 2007.
Because politicians did nothing to stop Wall St. from doing it again.

Brace yourselves, it's gonna be fun.
It won't happen.
It didn't happen here in '07.
All that happened in '07-'08 is that the market leveled off/slowed down for a while.
They aren't making any new land. There's nowhere to expand to in NYC.
There's an extreme shortage of properties for sale.
It's a very different market.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:15 am

Maybe there's a bubble in LA, but a lot of places are flat, if not still underwater.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:16 pm

I lived in NYC from 2000-2014. The perpetual wheel of effort it takes to simply pay rent and basic necessities finally caught up and overtook me. As youth wore off and age set in I had less and less of the energy that it takes and fewer and fewer reasons to keep me going at that pace.

I moved way out to the sticks with the goal of reducing rent to near zero. I've cut the rent by over $1k per month. Food is next. My gardening operation this coming year should provide food for me and even some surplus for supplemental cash.

The downside is that there is very little in the way of creative action or musical talent nearby. I'm basically stuck going to Nashville or Memphis for that but even then those places are glutted with supply so finding talent to play with or work on a project with is slim pickens.

Still happy to be where I am for now. But hooking up with some dudes who can play real rock would be a massive plus.
Dear God, Please make me Polvo or Ween or Townes Van Zandt or some combination of the three.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:18 pm

Toronto has the same thing going on as New York (although on a smaller/slightly less insane scale). There's been a massive condo boom here for the last 10-15 years and it's hitting the point that there are pretty much no un-gentrified neighbourhoods within the limits of the old city (Toronto and it's inner suburbs amalgamated about 20 years ago). Any and all light industry is being driven out of the core by high real estate prices and anything suitable for use as a studio is either too costly or about to become a tower. There's been an exodus of the arts in the last few years. Hamilton (the next big city heading west) was having a Detroit moment with the death of the steel industry but it's now the up and coming hip/cool/cheap neighbourhood (even though it's 2 hours away in bumper to bumper traffic).

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:30 am

Come join us in rural America!

People are friendly, land/houses are cheap, and every small town has at least two drive-thru carryout/pizza joints. :D
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:45 am

Smitty wrote:Come join us in rural America!

People are friendly, land/houses are cheap, and every small town has at least two drive-thru carryout/pizza joints. :D
If the deal included free national health care and fewer guns I'd be all over it.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:32 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote: If the deal included free national health care and fewer guns I'd be all over it.
We can probably get you free guns, but that's the best compromise we can offer at the moment.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Smitty wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote: If the deal included free national health care and fewer guns I'd be all over it.
We can probably get you free guns, but that's the best compromise we can offer at the moment.
lol

The Tape Op Messageboard: you'll come for the gear talk, but stay for the witty banter!