RIP John Abercrombie

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

RIP John Abercrombie

Post by ubertar » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:06 pm

I'm sure I had heard his name before, but I didn't know his music until yesterday, when I was driving in my car and turned on the radio. This incredible music was on with this amazing guitar playing. The piece was called Sorcery 1. Turns out he had just died and they were doing a tribute to him, playing his music for hours. I wish I had heard this years ago, and could have gone to see him play live. I'm happy to have discovered his music but it's such a shame that it took his death for that to happen. :(

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: RIP John Abercrombie

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 pm

great jazz guitarist on ECM for many years. scofield posted a touching note on facebook that john was "the nicest guy you could ever meet, when i first moved to the big city he helped me out and guided me without pre-tense". sounded like a real honest dude.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 pm

Oh shite... I just noticed this and I hadn't heard. And yes, a remarkable talent. He did some things with John Scofield that were just fantastic. Wonderful work on ECM as a soloist and sideman as well. He will be missed. What a drag it is, getting old (and watching all these other folks pass)...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:48 am

Gregg, what records would you recommend? I've been listening to Gateway and Timeless so far. I had Gateway on yesterday and my daughter thought it was me. :shock:
What's his best Scofield collab?