NAMM 2018 Thread.

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

NAMM 2018 Thread.

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone else has gone to NAMM this year, but I did, and plan to go again Saturday.

I mainly went to see some friends, and a few products I was interested.

If anyone else went, feel free to post here any stuff you were interested in.

Things I saw today:

KEN SCOTT. "I'd like to teach the World to sing, in perfect harmony", and, of course, The Beatles, and David Bowie. Fantastic engineer.
He is promoting a console company called Sound Techniques. Interesting, but not groundbreaking. LARGE FORMAT. Not for project studios.
I'll try to check it out more in depth next time, maybe take some pictures.

Looptrotter. WEIRD NAME< but seemed to have interesting 500 series and other rack hardware gear, from mic preamps, to a 500 series compatible console. They had some Russian "Crystal" EQ units, totally unique, 50 years old, and not for sale and not for replication. Their 500 series mic preamps came in two types, and are type a or a/b. The poor nice Russians had a very hard time answering basic questions, so try to find them online to see what they have.

Coleman Audio. Gary Coleman is super good at making CLEAN monitoring solutions. He showed me his new Stereo EQ, and a 32 channel summing box, with a separate master fader for doing fade outs on your mixes. It was interesting, and could be used in a project studio that needs some "summing" mojo." He also has monitor selectors which are really great.

Last but best today was Paul Wolff and his new company "Fix". He has a new console concept, completely modular, you can buy as few or as many 8 channel banks as you need, you can buy them as you can and add to your console as you need more, and the central master section has three possible different summing sounds or Flavors, which you can also swap out according to what you want in the mix buss. This is before even adding any master buss processing. Truly, a great new concept in console designs.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: NAMM 2018 Thread.

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 am

Tomorrow, Saturday, I am heading back to NAMM 2018 Madness.

I am specifically going to look at as many 500 series manufacturers as my body can handle.

Anyone I should look out for?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: NAMM 2018 Thread.

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat May 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Months late to the party of course. Months late and a year.

I went to NAMM 2017 Nick. First time. Awesome experience, but overwhelming. I could only go one day. So much stuff, so much walking, so many people. I would go back again, but I think I'd have to have a plan rather than aimlessly wander. You can't see it all (not in-depth anyway).

The star-spotting was cool. Actually (almost literally) bumped into Gabe Roth, which was great (big fan and all).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "