Getting reviewed

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vvv
zen recordist

Getting reviewed

Post by vvv » Fri May 04, 2018 8:07 am

So I answered a C/L ad claiming that a on-line magazine was looking for albums to review and muso's to interview. On their 5 question or so info request I gave only my email and bandcamp link. This is their response:
============================================
Hey Vlayman,

Hope you’re well. My name is Julian and I’m a managing editor at The Next Track Magazine. I’m getting back in touch with you regarding your music submission. We have reviewed your submission and we would like to feature you on our platform.

Currently, we’re focusing on interviews and mixtape features. I think an interview feature with you would be great to showcase you as an artist across our platform. In the interview, we’ll be talking about you, your music and your career, and etc. It will be via email and online. A feature like this can bring you potential fans and attention to your digital presence if we promote it in the right way.

There’s a small one-time standard fee of $30 which goes towards promotion services. If that's okay, we would love to feature you. Let me know if you’re on board or have any questions. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best,
Julian

Managing Editor
The Next Track Magazine

This message is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in respect of it. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender or delete it from your system.
============================================

Comments? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Getting reviewed

Post by kslight » Fri May 04, 2018 8:32 am

I’ve never paid for a review or an interview, and I especially wouldn’t to a magazine (?) I’ve never heard of and wouldn’t get me any exposure.

Magazines should be supported by the advertisers not the artists.

I probably would pass on the opportunity...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 04, 2018 9:22 am

They are more concerned about getting $30 from you than they are about making a good magazine.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm

i doubt they actually have any interest in making a good magazine at all.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 04, 2018 2:25 pm

I'll review your music for $25.

LOL.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri May 04, 2018 4:35 pm

There's a big part of me that would really like to give this magazine the benefit of the doubt... I mean, who among us hasn't been a start-up before. I mean... I'm still nobody, and I've been recording for a long time. So, if this magazine and I were equally obscure, I could imagine helping out to get featured... but if you go to the website for this magazine, it's a pretty generic little start up publication.

it'd be one thing if they had 1400 legitimate social media followers... but clicking through their instagram feed, it's obvious that nearly all of the 1,400 followers are just bots and bogus follow-backs that won't really get you any useful exposure.

So... sounds like a waste of $. Also, if you can send an invoice to that magazine for the 10min I just spent on this research and post, I'd appreciate it. All the money goes towards bourbon & reverb.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 pm

^^^^money well spent.
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:25 pm
i can't believe i missed such an obvious chance to make the $35 joke!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun May 06, 2018 9:30 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 pm
^^^^money well spent.
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:25 pm
i can't believe i missed such an obvious chance to make the $35 joke!
:lol: Bot' of yooze, but I'm savin' for a certain Rat Schack EQ, see ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat May 12, 2018 7:42 pm

I've got the Rat Shack. There's only one, and it's safe in the hold, so my advice is fuhgeddaboudit...

As to the review opportunity-- on the one hand, I say "SCAM!!" But on the other hand, having some experience with the process, I say it's a different world and a different business these days, so I can see a fee-based feature situation (don't think that basically the same thing isn't being done at all of the major mags on a regular basis; it is). But the point made above is important-- What is their reach/circulation/readership? It doesn't sound like a wise investment for you.

That'll be $30 for your introductory consultation (hey, everybody's doing it!)...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "