GS

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vvv
zen recordist

GS

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:02 pm

I mean, WTF?

Killin' some C-19 time I go over and look at the GS forum.

Open 4 threads, two in guitars, two in low rent - they all devolve into weasels whining, attacking, bitching ... :evil:

C'mon TOMB'rs, post some more!!!!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: GS

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:32 pm

yeah i avoid that place. it's mostly a pissing contest about gear, you can't record anything good unless you own the power station or something. The low End was usually decent with people talking about cheap gear and being reasonable. that was the only forum part i could get with.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:37 pm

The guitar side is absolutely the worst. There’s a couple old people that make retirement look boring and sour the whole thing. They come on to every thread especially if it’s something they know nothing about and shit on the whole thing, The moderators refuse to reign in the guitar side, for whatever reason they consider it a lost cause. Yes, we are all adults and should just be able to discuss and disagree without being mean, but..

I only hang out there because there are a few pros (especially Charlie Clouser) that always have interesting things to say but the rest :???:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Indeed.

There's some guy in the guitar section purporting to show the amps he owns in order to provide to his "clients".

My arse - he has a collection, a ridiculous, repetitive $100K collection that he just wants to show off.

Braggadacio, bitchin' - it's all them seem to do* ...

* to paraphrase der Zep.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:05 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:24 pm
Indeed.

There's some guy in the guitar section purporting to show the amps he owns in order to provide to his "clients".

My arse - he has a collection, a ridiculous, repetitive $100K collection that he just wants to show off.

Braggadacio, bitchin' - it's all them seem to do* ...

* to paraphrase der Zep.

Yeah I saw that. If you have enough work to support having all those amps just for clients, you don’t have time to dick around on forums... I don’t know how any band could afford the literal weeks it would require to find the perfect amp in that situation....at some point you just turn it up and rock out and move on, right?

There’s those that appear to be running a museum, there’s the Youtubers that dump their spam in there, and there’s the grouchy old guys that are all about 1940s technology and will let you know how wrong you are for looking at anything else. Then there’s the people that show up to innocently ask a question and get shamed for it or the thread completely falls apart within a few posts. I think that about covers it.

I mean I got a lot of toys too i guess, but my sickness is less than theirs right? :high:

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 pm

bob olhsson used to (still might?) roam on GS and he was a big reason i joined. i loved hearing/learning/reading all about the motown gear and techniques and everything. really an inspiration for me. a couple other guys too, there was this one guy i bought his record because he was a big all analog guy recording with a bunch of vintage gear (not fancy, like tascam/fostex decks and consoles). it's a nice beach boys esque record. donnylang or something i think his name is.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:26 am

I'm on there everyday, but I tend to hang out in the Remote Possibilities sub-forum and sometimes Geekslutz. A lot about location recording, mostly jazz and classical but some rock and R&B too. Its a pretty well-behaved lot there - mostly pro engineers and dedicated amateurs. I totally agree with the sentiments expressed here - Low End, Guitars seem to be the worst. In general I think there are so many people on GS that the signal to noise ratio gets out of whack. Nice to come here for some civil, thoughtful banter.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:08 am

I do appreciate that folks here have always been more supportive and can have useful conversations on just about any topic without resorting to the personal attacks that seem to plague GS. There has always been a culture here that there are no rules and there is not a "right way" to do things. That's honestly why I still visit this board. The folks here have interesting and creative solutions to problems instead of just judging and saying "Well CLA does it this way" even though they probably only read that somewhere and really have no f***ing idea if it is true or not, but somehow they are now an expert... :roll:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com