RIP Eddie Van Halen

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

RIP Eddie Van Halen

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:14 pm

Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Re: RIP Eddie Van Halen

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:39 pm

:cry:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:58 pm

You don' t need me to tell you he changed things. That first album was terrifying in a great way. Like Hendrix, he tore the roof off what electric guitar playing had been up to that point.
Thanks Ed.

"That first album was unfair to everyone. Eddie's innate musical genius ears, combined with the athletic prowess he got from eight-hours-a-day bedroom practicing, along with an indestructible rhythymic groove developed from jamming with his brother, results in a record of non-stop jaw-dropping awesomeness. -Paul Gilbert

Michael Gazda
The best thing about EVH was he wrote terrific songs to start with and the pyrotechnics were frosting on a tasty cake. Guitar virtuosos where the only point is showing off are pretty boring. Songs first please.

Matt Brown
People talk about Eddie’s shred skill and his song writing. And those two things are key. But a third element for me, which takes him over the top, is his sense of humor. Not lyrically, but rather in the way he injects his sense of humor in his playing. The “smile factor”, if you will. I nearly always find myself smiling or laughing during one of his solos, partly because of the technical aspect, and also because he plays some of the most unexpected and crazy stuff just at the right time. I think the humor part is what is usually missing when other players tried to cop his style. Vai and Satch had some of that... but most did not.

Eddie giving a tour of the VH vault and studio circa 1998

"Hey man, Mark Tillmans' folks are going to Tahoe this weekend. Party at Tillman's. Spread the word"
Oh, and bring a couple bucks for keg money."

Weekend comes. Late Friday afternoon first keg gone, 2nd keg the party gets going in earnest. Somebody puts on the B52s first album, some people start dancing. The Cars, Journey, The Police etc.
By 11:30, it's getting down to the keg crowd remaining, the music's getting harder. Aerosmith Get Your Wings and Rocks are on for a bit.

"Whaddaya guys wanna hear now?"
"Put on Halen!" "Yeah, Halen 1!"
Tillman manages to get the lp over the spindle by the third try, then leans over to the (Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui?)
Loud pop as the arm drops onto Van Halen 1
and begins with the time-honored 70's party tune known as : "The volume knob is set to loud as F*ck".

Tillman was in good with his neighbors, but not the neighbors half a mile away. By 12:15 the cops have arrived.
'Aint talking Bout Love' starts again for easily the 17th time.
HEy! GUYS! TIME to shut it dowN!
Party crowd cheers back, beers aloft mid chorus "Hey, Hey, Hey!"
Sarge, this song is pretty good. Alright, but after this it's over.
Thanks man!
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 14 times in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:48 pm

My first guitar hero. RIP EVH.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:43 am

I feel sad for Alex too. I don't think he's ever been in a band without Eddie! And when you heard both of them (or either of them) you always knew exactly who it was.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:17 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:43 am
I feel sad for Alex too. I don't think he's ever been in a band without Eddie! And when you heard both of them (or either of them) you always knew exactly who it was.
I think its awesome Eddie started off on drums,but gave them to Alex,cause he wanted them more. Then started up with the stringed thing!
I am the Walnut

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:21 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:43 am
I hadn't even thought of that. Its true, they've never NOT been in a band together.