RIP Chick Corea

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

RIP Chick Corea

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm

this one hits home, his record with return to forever "light as a feather" was the first jazz record to really move me emotionally. i still listen to it and have enjoyed his other works and his work with return to forever. sad day.

he was amazing out front as a leader or soloist, but he was also the consummate professional when backing artists as well. check him out here backing george benson on an award show, the colors he adds with synth/clav/rhodes really make it stand out, i prefer it to the studio version to be honest

https://youtu.be/WyGrZmuwEhw

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: RIP Chick Corea

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:59 pm

"Three Quartets" was the first jazz record I ever bought - Corea, with Steve Gadd and Eddie Gomez as the killer rhythm section plus Michael Brecker.

I've actually worked with him, too - just a year or two ago, I did monitors for his band for a show. Still an amazing pianist.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: RIP Chick Corea

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:38 pm

I'm really glad I got to see Chick Corea with Garry Burton at Orchestra Hall in Chicago. He was a force of nature.