Favorite Music/Audio related charities

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Favorite Music/Audio related charities

Post by alexdingley » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:56 am

Hi there!

This is a two part post: one, I'm looking for charities... two, it's really fun to share info about the impact of volunteering & charity work.

I manage my company's charitable contribution work, and we tend to donate a bunch of money (each year) to the charities that mean the most to our employees. I have lots of non-music related charities that I donate to each year, but I don't know many (other Than "Music Cares") in our space. Are there any charities that you all care about? Please reply with them below / share a little about what they do and if you've ever volunteered with them.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: Favorite Music/Audio related charities

Post by alexdingley » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:15 pm

It looks like Cory at Seventh Circle Audio put together a GoFundMe to get metal stoves bought/made in Ukraine, so that's a nice thing to donate to.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:22 pm

A few entities I've given to in the past spring to mind:

My local independent FM music stations. We have an NPR-adjacent station that plays locally programmed music - I think the only syndicated show they have is World Cafe on the overnights. We've also got one of the few dedicated Jazz stations in the country. When I try to listen to commercial radio anymore, I can't stand the commercials....so the commercial-free stations gets my support.

Jail Guitar Doors - Wayne Kramer's 501c3, with a mission to teach music to the incarcerated.

Youth On Record - the Flobots organization that runs a community center in Denver, again with an emphasis music & arts.

Girls Rock Denver - giving teenage girls an environment away from teenage boys to explore music and creativity (my description, not theirs). Girls Rock has a number of independent chapters around the country - there might be one near you. The Denver one (at least before the pandemic) runs a summer camp, and they have a bunch of donated instruments. I used to help coordinate a prep day for that - make sure guitars are strung & playable, repair some cables, sort out which parts go to which drumset, etc.

(And just found this: https://www.girlsrockphilly.org)
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:29 pm

One more:

The Georgia Tech Foundation - with a note specifically identifying Dr Lanterman's outreach in the synthesizer-DIY community.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:59 am

I donate to this one (because it's important), but I think it is focused (limited?) to serving the central-Texas area only at this time.

https://simsfoundation.org/
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:18 am

Not a specific charity, but I did donate to these people:

https://www.rpmchallenge.com/

When you sign up, towards the end, you can donate to their thing.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:33 pm

I donate to the Bob Moog Foundation, and recently learned about Emily Lazar’s new-ish endeavor, We Are Moving the Needle.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:55 pm

Musicares the charity arm of the Grammys is pretty great. Garges might have lost his house without them when he was diagnosed with cancer.