InMusic takes Moog. Resistance is futile...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

InMusic takes Moog. Resistance is futile...

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:30 am

Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: InMusic takes Moog. Resistance is futile...

Post by kslight » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:52 am

Yep, I predicted this alongside the most recent reissue if the Minimoog, the impact of the Moog One, and lesser so with the newer plug-ins. In my perspective, none of those were a sustainable long term path.

I understand the Minimoog legacy appeal but to reissue something like this in todays market - at a much higher price than a few years back….I feel like most of the people that wanted that have already bought the earlier reissue, and if they couldn’t afford that, they bought a clone….and most people today are adjusting to a more expensive world and probably not looking for a super premium priced mono synth at $5000. I realize there are always going to be people like that, but a synth at the end of the day is always a much more niche product than say…a guitar.

The Moog One again, very expensive so a limited user market, while in this case also requires ongoing development that is beyond Moog’s means. And their biggest mistake could be argued that most people would find this more appealing as a Memorymoog reissue than what it is. I am going to put my bet in that Inmusic may try to salvage it by taking the Moog One and dumb it way down, bring the price closer to reality for some, put a walnut finish case around it, and call it a Memorymoog.

I understand Moog has had a handful of software projects over the years, but it is also a confusing tactic for a company who’s entire brand is built around the idea of “legacy 70s instruments built entirely by artisans in North Carolina” (though we know this is a distorted perception…Moog for most products certainly is not doing a lot more heavy lifting than final assembly in NC). Especially in the heated guitar pedal market - I feel like moog pedals that are more pedal board friendly could be premium priced but still obtainable for todays guitar player, and an easy sell. Plug-ins though? We have a lot of plug-ins already…

I’m not terribly optimistic about Inmusic, though maybe this means we can get a new Mpc with Minimoog built in…

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:30 am

sad day. i will not be surprised when their brand has been bastardized and trashed in 10 years time and Moog's are just relics of the past.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:01 pm

I guess this still beats a ~ 35 year period where they weren't doing anything with the brand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moog_synthesizer