Bandcamp sold, again

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

floid
buyin' a studio

Bandcamp sold, again

Post by floid » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:13 pm

Twice in a year and a half, I wonder what this might bode. Their bandcamp Friday's have seemed to be one of the few good things for small acts in the streaming oriented present
Village Idiot.

Mark
tinnitus

Re: Bandcamp sold, again

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:02 am

Who owns it now?
WWRHS?

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:39 am

https://pitchfork.com/news/epic-games-s ... d-layoffs/

so they were owned by Epic Games, a video game company famous for Fortnite (a video game) and Unreal Engine (a graphics engine used to create games). They have been sold to Songtradr some music licensing company.

My personal thoughts: fortnite won't be big forever, seems it's already on the decline, Unreal engine however is legit. Seems they just overextended by buying bandcamp, and had to offload. I'm not sure who Songtradr is and cursory search says B2B music licensing. Let's hope they don't ruin Bandcamp. I love and cherish bandcamp and really don't want it to go anywhere. it's a great platform.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:52 am

That's crazy. I hope they keep it going, lots of friends on there and they like it.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:04 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:39 am
https://pitchfork.com/news/epic-games-s ... d-layoffs/

so they were owned by Epic Games, a video game company famous for Fortnite (a video game) and Unreal Engine (a graphics engine used to create games). They have been sold to Songtradr some music licensing company.

My personal thoughts: fortnite won't be big forever, seems it's already on the decline, Unreal engine however is legit. Seems they just overextended by buying bandcamp, and had to offload. I'm not sure who Songtradr is and cursory search says B2B music licensing. Let's hope they don't ruin Bandcamp. I love and cherish bandcamp and really don't want it to go anywhere. it's a great platform.

I might be inclined to suggest that Unreal’s use in movies and tv shows is probably an equal or greater deal than in games these days. Though I’m not really sure what they were thinking getting involved with bandcamp in the first place.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:32 pm

Wow. I had actually forgotten about the Epic Games acquisition - so I guess that means I didn't notice any change - except I think maybe the rates increased a bit on sales? Hoping this new change doesn't change much. I suppose Songtradr gets access to a ton of music that they could then potentially sell (or really, help you license) to tv, film, radio, commercials, games, etc. I mean it was already there, but if they have a way to help a business sift through it maybe it's a good thing?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:54 am

yeah on paper this is a better owner in that at least they are in the same line of work.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:02 am

it's all I publish on except a cuppla-3 forums and by email, so here's hopin' ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:45 pm

Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:23 pm

Village Idiot.