The Temptress

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

The Temptress

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:45 am

My Friend Brian and I recorded this cover song of Buchannan's the Temptress, tell me what you think.
the Temptress

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:13 am

I like the drums quite a bit-insistent but not in your face. Also the panning is refreshing. hat left snare right. How did you mic the kit?
I never heard the original song, I assume its Roy Buchanon? His tele was a bit brighter. I think the guitars could be brightened up just a tad. The vocals could use either a bit of 8k or maybe just an overall boost like .5db. Nice job overall.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:20 am

PeterAuslan wrote:I like the drums quite a bit-insistent but not in your face. Also the panning is refreshing. hat left snare right. How did you mic the kit?
I never heard the original song, I assume its Roy Buchanon? His tele was a bit brighter. I think the guitars could be brightened up just a tad. The vocals could use either a bit of 8k or maybe just an overall boost like .5db. Nice job overall.
Thanks for listening Peter, The kit was miiked with a Royer U47 copy as OH about three sticks off the snare, 57 on the snare, e603 on the Kick, and a 421 on the Floor Tom Of Life.
The Buchannan I meant was this guy:
http://www.myspace.com/buchananmusiconline
You can actually hear the real Temptress there.
We thought it should sound more raw, like this.
Just an idea really, and a great song in my opinion.
The guitars might sound a little dark cos' we used the eight track tape machine on this one.
I'm pretty happy with beef over bright on the guitars, but I'll try that boost and see what happens.
Thanks again.

Ben Logan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ben Logan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:11 am

I like the stereo spread on the drums. High hat in left, snare on right.

Warm meaty guitars.

Great singing. Is that you Red Rocket, or your buddy? How far back from the mic did the singer stand? How much did you compress vox?

The guitar "lead" about 3/4 of the way through the tune just "sings" (no vox on this part).

Awesome job. I'm totally impressed. Man - I've got some work to do!

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:32 am

Ben Logan wrote:I like the stereo spread on the drums. High hat in left, snare on right.

Warm meaty guitars.

Great singing. Is that you Red Rocket, or your buddy? How far back from the mic did the singer stand? How much did you compress vox?

The guitar "lead" about 3/4 of the way through the tune just "sings" (no vox on this part).

Awesome job. I'm totally impressed. Man - I've got some work to do!
Damn, Ben, thanks!

I was worried the stereo spread would throw the vocal off center, but it seems to be okay.

That is Brian Singing, he played everything on this track, I just recorded it and added a little cowbell. Seriously. Cowbell.

As far as vocal distance, he backed up and got close, he has a lot of vocal technique. It was a C-12 copy made for me by David Royer through an Ampex 351 at high gain with a Summit TLA-50 limiting the vocal a little at about 8:1

That guitar that you like was done with one of those little Vox pathfinders. I love those amps.

We recorded this 90% on the Tascam 38 and then dumped the tracks down to PT at 88.2 for some editing. I'm really digging that 88.2 stuff for rock lately. It was mixed out of the box through my Soundtracs and then back into PT with a little Vintage Warmer before it was bounced to 16/44.1

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:29 pm

I like it!

FuzzGtr
alignin' 24-trk

Mmmmmm - "BROWN SAUCE" - So Syrupy

Post by FuzzGtr » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:22 pm

Nice - i actually think it needs to be muddy - the focus is on the vocals - the rest is rhythm and besides - I personally like "brown tone" -- especially on guitar (dammit! where did the 70's go!)

good job - keep it up!

P.S. next time nekkid "rednecks" show up at your place - let me know in advance and i'll bring my video crew :)

also, i immediately thought of Roy Buchanan (RIP) as well!

Since i'm a blues nut!

Fuzz-Ay
-o-0 FUZZY 0-o-
------------------

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:52 pm

hey Rocket,

finally listened to the original Temptress and I have to say, I like yours better. good job guys. This song keeps sticking in my head...

Mike

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:19 pm

MMM... tape. I really like your version. I prefer the guitar tone of the original, but the drums and vox on yours just rule. I love the hihat/snare oposite.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:58 am

Thanks so much guys, I feel like a TapeOp graduate at last.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:13 am

Cool song...really like that thick guitar sound (from the Vox, no less!).