thank you Jeff Tweedy/rude audiences

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

whatchamachicken
gettin' sounds

thank you Jeff Tweedy/rude audiences

Post by whatchamachicken » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:13 am

I went to a solo Jeff Tweedy show last night, and as with every concert I go to these days, there were way too many people talking throughout the show. A few songs into his set he got about ten seconds into his song and stopped to pose the question: Why the fuck do people pay good money to come to a fucking folk singers show to just talk the entire time? And he added that he would gladly give people their money back if they wanted to leave and go have their beer and conversation elsewhere. I think a few people actually did leave a couple songs later. I got the impression that a lot of these people don't know a thing about Tweedy and came to the show expecting to see a rocking Wilco show and were dissappointed to see the folk-singer side of Tweedy.

Damn I wish more artists would have the balls to do this. It's getting to the point where I can't go to a live show anymore without coming out of it completely pissed off becasue no matter where you go or where you happen to sit/stand, there is no way to get away from these inconsiderate assholes. It's completely rude to the artist and other members of the crowd who paid good money to go see a show and LISTEN to the music.

His comments helped for about a song and a half then it was pretty much back to the noisy drunk people getting drunker and louder. It was a great show, but filled with tension because of the assholes that continued to talk. He eventually started "fighting back" by playing louder music and songs the audience could sing along to "since you all can't seem to keep you mouths shut."

He actually came back out for two encores. I felt fortunate that he even came back out for one after dealing with that crowd all night. I hope this didn't ruin our chances of seeing him return here in the future. Some people there I think felt offended that he made these comments and reacted this way, but I would love to thank him for doing this. Way too many people waste their money to go to a show and carry on their own conversations all night long and ruin it for the rest of the people that went to see a good show.
If it sounds good, it is good.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:16 am

Now that I am older than thirty I can say what people over thirty have been saying about the younger folks since time immemorial: I think manners are on the decline.

Who has been to a multiplex lately? Sometime in the past 18 months it has become 'okay' to talk at normal volume all through a movie. Maybe I'll start doing it myself one of these days.

Luckily there is still VERY LOUD music over which people must yell to be heard by their wannabe gen-x-y-hipster friends. Oh, wait.

Rob Christensen
gettin' sounds

Post by Rob Christensen » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:04 am

I understand Mr. Tweedy had the same problem at his Portland (?) show. I saw him in Arcata, CA a couple of weeks back and he was very appreciative about the audience's attentiveness. It was a great great show. Jeff joked with the audience a lot and even had mini-conversations with audience members. He closed the show with an unamplified (No PA) version of "Acuff-Rose." It was really special and I find it amazing that many people don't seem to appreciate that sort of thing and just talk through it.

whatchamachicken
gettin' sounds

Post by whatchamachicken » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:39 pm

I am one of those "younger folk." I sitll have a few years til I hit the 30 mark and I've been pissed off for the last 5 or 6 years at nearly every concert I have been to. Unfortunately the music I'm into is very mellow and somber like Jeff Tweedy, Iron and Wine, etc., and I think I live in an area where that isn't recieved very well and people don't respect it when it comes to town. I don't understand at all why people will pay the money to go to these shows though if they aren't going to listen.

And, yeah, he finished this show unamplified standing up on the PA speakers at the front of the stage. Was very special.

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:12 am

Not exactly the same, but I appreciated Cowboy Mouth stopping a show in Austin a few years ago because of a few guys slam dancing in the audience. Those guys were at least enjoying the music, but keeping others from doing so. And CM is a rowdy band with rowdy crowds. Still very appropriate.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:11 pm

it's a tough call.. because if only people who truly appreciated the music showed up to shows, there would be a lot less shows. and, it would be incredibly difficult for bands to tour.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Re: thank you Jeff Tweedy/rude audiences

Post by i am monster face » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:01 pm

whatchamachicken wrote:I went to a solo Jeff Tweedy show last night, and as with every concert I go to these days, there were way too many people talking throughout the show. A few songs into his set he got about ten seconds into his song and stopped to pose the question: Why the fuck do people pay good money to come to a fucking folk singers show to just talk the entire time? And he added that he would gladly give people their money back if they wanted to leave and go have their beer and conversation elsewhere. I think a few people actually did leave a couple songs later. I got the impression that a lot of these people don't know a thing about Tweedy and came to the show expecting to see a rocking Wilco show and were dissappointed to see the folk-singer side of Tweedy.

Damn I wish more artists would have the balls to do this. It's getting to the point where I can't go to a live show anymore without coming out of it completely pissed off becasue no matter where you go or where you happen to sit/stand, there is no way to get away from these inconsiderate assholes. It's completely rude to the artist and other members of the crowd who paid good money to go see a show and LISTEN to the music.

His comments helped for about a song and a half then it was pretty much back to the noisy drunk people getting drunker and louder. It was a great show, but filled with tension because of the assholes that continued to talk. He eventually started "fighting back" by playing louder music and songs the audience could sing along to "since you all can't seem to keep you mouths shut."

He actually came back out for two encores. I felt fortunate that he even came back out for one after dealing with that crowd all night. I hope this didn't ruin our chances of seeing him return here in the future. Some people there I think felt offended that he made these comments and reacted this way, but I would love to thank him for doing this. Way too many people waste their money to go to a show and carry on their own conversations all night long and ruin it for the rest of the people that went to see a good show.
This is the same thing that happened at the Lincoln, NE show. Which one were you at? I just thought the people in Lincoln were jerks.

Ian

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:25 pm

This is the same thing that happened at the Lincoln, NE show. Which one were you at? I just thought the people in Lincoln were jerks.
AND the Seattle show. I think something happened to Wilco's audience. It's like all the Dave Matthews fans drifted to Jeff Tweedy somehow. I don't see the connection, but it's the same demographic that shows up to Jeff Tweedy solo shows and yap it up, shouting out song titles in between. If I were Jeff, I'd definitely have shown less class.
Bipolar Production

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:36 pm

Most people see shows as parties. Check Phish/Dead for examples...I love seeing old Led Zep footage in the Royal Albert Hall where it's dead quiet the ENTIRE 2hrs of the concert.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:16 pm

I still see shows from time to time where the audience is dead quiet and focused on the music. Recently, I've seen audiences stunned into submission by Crooked Fingers and Green Milk From The Planet Orange. Both shows were way different. Both shows had completely different crowds. But, both shows were at bars. And, both bands drew drinking crowds. But, both bands were also freakishly captivating.

I think that it says more about the difference between Jeff Tweedy and Led Zeppelin than the difference between generations of concert goers.

I like Jeff Tweedy. I think that Wilco is alright. And, I'm sure that part of it has to do with having more broad appeal and "crossover" audience. But, since he's having trouble like this in cities everywhere, then he's either failing to grab the audience, or he's booking the wrong venues.

I mean, ideally, you'd be able to see Jeff Tweedy or Wilco at a smallish theater or music hall with great acoustics, comfy seats, and bongs, right?

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:32 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:I still see shows from time to time where the audience is dead quiet and focused on the music. Recently, I've seen audiences stunned into submission by Crooked Fingers and Green Milk From The Planet Orange. Both shows were way different. Both shows had completely different crowds. But, both shows were at bars. And, both bands drew drinking crowds. But, both bands were also freakishly captivating.

I think that it says more about the difference between Jeff Tweedy and Led Zeppelin than the difference between generations of concert goers.

I like Jeff Tweedy. I think that Wilco is alright. And, I'm sure that part of it has to do with having more broad appeal and "crossover" audience. But, since he's having trouble like this in cities everywhere, then he's either failing to grab the audience, or he's booking the wrong venues.

I mean, ideally, you'd be able to see Jeff Tweedy or Wilco at a smallish theater or music hall with great acoustics, comfy seats, and bongs, right?
i agree about venues possibly being wrong. jeff played the moore in seattle, which is a medium sized (overpriced, although beautiful) theater. but i saw him a few years ago at a small club (the crocodile) doing the solo thing and it was so retardedly quiet. of course there was one heckler but he was shut down quickly by both tweedy and the audience.

i think bands mature into a sound that broadens over time. after so many years of playing out, you will inevitably pick up people who are more into going out to a show at a big venue just to say they went to see "so & so", than to actually hear the music. i don't know whose fault it is, if anyone's, but i gotta give props to tweedy for letting the audience know that they need to shut the eff up. i'd rather hear that than listen to some jackass yammer through an amazing show.
Bipolar Production

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:50 am

yeah.. that's pretty badass that he told 'em to zip it.

whatchamachicken
gettin' sounds

Post by whatchamachicken » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:51 am

i am monster face wrote:This is the same thing that happened at the Lincoln, NE show. Which one were you at? I just thought the people in Lincoln were jerks.

Ian
Yeah, that's the concert I was at too, in Lincoln.

I realize there is going to be talking here and there at any concert, but it's pretty out of hand when people show up and can't even keep quiet for more than a minute or so and then have to continue with their conversation. The table behind me only shut up for about a song and a half after Tweedy scolded the audience, then they started back up and contunued to get worse the more they drank. It was absolutely nonstop the whole concert. Why pay $25 to not listen to a single song. They could have gone a half block down the street to sit in a bar and be noisy there.

My main reason for writing this post was that I was happy to see an artist fight back against people disrespecting him and try to take back some control.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:06 am

Wilco has a following among jammers/dirtsurfers now. Therefore the Phish/Grateful Dead comparison is apt. Luckily when they play as an electric band they can drown out the people who are just there for the party.

Related subtopic: Is everybody aware that Ryan Adams is now appearing on special occasions with Phil Lesh's band and sticking around for entire sets which include many of his own songs? Who (besides me, obviously) suspects that Ryan Adams has courted the jammer audience on purpose as a music business survival tactic?

I don't know, ever since I heard that canned BS banter at the beginning of Gold about Morrissey I have suspected that Ryan Adams, while talented, is insincere. And I bet there are hipsters that talk loudly through all his shows.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:14 am

Did any of you actually go to Dead shows? I can't speak for Phish, but I never had any problem hearing/enjoying the music at a Dead show. People by and large were respectful. Sounds like you all want to scapegoat jam band fans as the "noisy ones". Funny that, since in the story above it's the drinkers who are causing the problems. Leave your prejudices at home people...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis