Maybe Tonight - the Idaho Falls

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:14 am

This is great. Sounds like a lot of love has gone into it. The song structure is totally crazy.

The only thing that crosses my mind is that it almost sounds too good. It?s totally a personal taste thing but I would have held back a little on the controlled and polished vibe and made it sound more open and organic.

But like I say that is just personal taste. It?s a great job.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:04 am

Get Thee To A Nunnery wrote:This is great. Sounds like a lot of love has gone into it. The song structure is totally crazy.

The only thing that crosses my mind is that it almost sounds too good. It?s totally a personal taste thing but I would have held back a little on the controlled and polished vibe and made it sound more open and organic.

But like I say that is just personal taste. It?s a great job.

Thanks for checking it out man.

There is almost no 'polish' on this at all. It is a 100% digital recording, so maybe that is what you're picking up on.

When I think of polish I think of things like Beat Detective and Autotune.
None of that here.
There are pitchy vocals, slightly dissonant guitar leads, and distortion galore on this recording.

Maybe the other thing you're hearing is that we used every instrument under the sun on this song, but the funny thing is, this is how we sound live when the whole band of 6 shows up.

so, help me out, what do you think I could do to make it sound better?

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:30 pm

I really, really like the ?raggedness? of the performances. They help give the song it?s edginess and personality. It?s the sonic treatments I was talking about.

It?s almost like the separation of the instruments is too good, they are bit too clean, clear and distinct. In contrast to the performances the treatments sound a bit polite and a bit ?studio? to me.

You cited Wilco earlier and I suppose in my mind I am hearing that sort of approach.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:11 pm

Get Thee To A Nunnery wrote:I really, really like the ?raggedness? of the performances. They help give the song it?s edginess and personality. It?s the sonic treatments I was talking about.

It?s almost like the separation of the instruments is too good, they are bit too clean, clear and distinct. In contrast to the performances the treatments sound a bit polite and a bit ?studio? to me.

You cited Wilco earlier and I suppose in my mind I am hearing that sort of approach.
Hmmm, maybe we should start tracking live together more, but I only have 8 inputs so it kinda limits what I can do, but now I understand what you mean more clearly, thanks for taking the time to write that.