French soundtrack music

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

French soundtrack music

Post by goldstar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

So I just finished "The Triplets of Belleville" again, and last week watched Jacque Tati's "Mon Oncle", and am having a hankering for some of that cool, melancholy accordian-based stuff heard in both; problem is, I got no idea who to look for. Anyone have suggestions for artists? Thanks.

Frank

nubeking
audio school

Re: French soundtrack music

Post by nubeking » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:02 pm

goldstar wrote:So I just finished "The Triplets of Belleville" again, and last week watched Jacque Tati's "Mon Oncle", and am having a hankering for some of that cool, melancholy accordian-based stuff heard in both; problem is, I got no idea who to look for. Anyone have suggestions for artists? Thanks.

Frank

Frank - you can do no wrong with Francois De Roubaix. He soundtracked everything from underwater epics for Jacques Cousteau to gritty police dramas, all with a lovely sense for melody and instrument combos. Check www.dustygroove.com for stuff in print. His stuff done with analog synths + acoustic instruments is wonderful.

nubeking
audio school

Post by nubeking » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:04 pm

As a matter of fact, Dusty Groove has a load of great French soundtrack stuff in their "Soundtrack' section. I also love Eric Demarsan and Serge Gainsbourg's soundtrack work for that "melancholy accordion" vibe.

BTW, I don't work for DG. I just buy from them a lot because they're an excellent shop.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:19 pm

I hate to say it, but that "amalie" sound track has your name all over it....

fafafa.....

Jay
I hate those icon thingys'.....

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:11 pm

Merci nube, will investigate.

sismofyt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by sismofyt » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:00 pm

you need to check out yann tiersen then..:

http://www.yanntiersen.com/

there are soundclips from all his albums and very interesting collaborations...

he's one of my alltime fav artists... much bette than serge, imo (playing his arms et cetera, reggae album right now, that's one groovy mutha!)

http://www.francevision.com/nsltr/vf14/gains.htm

for some great background info..

do check out yann (yes, he did the ameli? and goodbye berlin soundtracks - most of the tracks are rehashed from other yt albums)

sadly, i 've never seen him live though..