Mistakes in famous recordings

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jzombie
ass engineer

Post by jzombie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:00 pm

Electricide wrote:
jzombie wrote:one that always strikes me is in the mamas & the papas "i saw her again last night" - i think it's before the last verse, denny (?) comes in during the instrumental break on "I saw her - " I've always wondered why they didn't, or couldn't get rid of that since it doesn't seem like a particulary "cool" mistake...
PBS ran a Pledge Drive with the hot girl from mama and papas, and you got some retrospective DVD when you pledged. The talk about that error. The break at that point in the song was longer than it was earlier, and the guy just forget it. She said when they listened back they LOVED the error and kept it in on purpose.
interesting... it always just sounded like a screwup to me. but then again, it was a huge hit, so that shows how much i know :roll:

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:57 am

vvv wrote:
Then there is Al Kooper so delightfully late all over Blood on the Tracks, and telling funny stories about it, also.

did he even play on that album?
I think that you're thinking of Highway 61 Revisited. Al was an intern who weaseled his way into playing on the session. Almost lost his intern position until Dylan said "Turn up the organ". He was late because he didn't know the songs and was coming in on beat two of every measure. Had to hear the chords first!

Jeff

stereobongos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stereobongos » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:49 pm

skycave wrote: Sweaky bass drum pedal in "Since I've Been Loving You". Classic.

Jeff
That would be a Ludwig Speed King most likely. You can hear plenty of the same squeaks on James Brown records as well.

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Devlarz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:04 pm

There are plenty all over The Kinks music.

Everybody's Going To Be Happy- the clapping that accompanies the chorus which is criminally off-beat.

Victoria- at 2:58 Dave Davies begins going bonkers and screaming during the take. Probably his excitement over the take giong well but he still sounds as though he's going mad.

There are others but I can't quite think of them at the moment. Anyone know of the story about The Kinks having the claim of being the first group to have the infamous F word on their recording? I have heard that it's right before the solo of either 'You really Got Me' or 'All Day and All Of The Night' but I've yet to here it. Apparently Ray was heckling his younger brother Dave right before his solo and Dave replied with an anger "F**k off!"

The Beatles- 'Hey Jude' somewhere shortly before the last chorus before going to the big outro you can hear either Lennon or Harrison saying 'f***ing hell'.
Well, the difference is that you strut and I stroll.

Petras

famulous
audio school

Stones: Can't You Hear Me Knockin'

Post by famulous » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:57 am

Don't know if this is Keef or Taylorr....I think it's K... at 1'33 listen to the right channel rhythm guitar -- the chord he hits is damped but clearly not the right one. What helps is that virtually nothing in this song is played more than once anyway - every lick, fill, chord voicing is a one-off. Bloody beautiful.

In "Sway," also on Sticky Finger, check out Mick overdriving the mic at least three times. He sings "bed" (2'13) and you can just see that thing wilting under the sheer force of his lungs, "broke" (2'20) soon after....
I've felt like a beginner for a long time.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 pm

skycave wrote:
vvv wrote:
Then there is Al Kooper so delightfully late all over Blood on the Tracks, and telling funny stories about it, also.

did he even play on that album?
I think that you're thinking of Highway 61 Revisited. Al was an intern who weaseled his way into playing on the session. Almost lost his intern position until Dylan said "Turn up the organ". He was late because he didn't know the songs and was coming in on beat two of every measure. Had to hear the chords first!

Jeff
Damn, I hate when people pay attention to what I post! :lol:

You are correct, of course, and also Blonde on Blonde the next year ('66).

As punishment, I will listen to the latest Wallflowers record, my least favorite Brendan O'Brian record.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:35 am

How about really obvious tape splices? are those mistakes?

On Charles Mingus Blues and Roots album (one of his BEST by far...Dolphy is just insane...) on E's Flat Ah's Flat Too at 6:04 on the CD theres a big edit from where the band is all playing to just the bari sax playing the melody. the drum sound even changes character to being a little more broken up. sounds like they spliced 2 takes together.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

famulous
audio school

edits

Post by famulous » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:41 am

I think if the edit disrupts the music even a little it could be considered a mistake. In any case you can hear what might be the alltime Beatles edit during I Want You/She's so Heavy (3'42).

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: edits

Post by JGriffin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:37 am

famulous wrote:I think if the edit disrupts the music even a little it could be considered a mistake. In any case you can hear what might be the alltime Beatles edit during I Want You/She's so Heavy (3'42).
Or "Yer Blues." Really nasty edit there.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:21 pm

Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me. Todd's counting in...bass player keeps forgetting the pick up notes. Third time he realizes everyone's prolly staring at him. Ooops.

P.

famulous
audio school

Post by famulous » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:29 pm

rydberg wrote:Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me. Todd's counting in...bass player keeps forgetting the pick up notes. Third time he realizes everyone's prolly staring at him. Ooops.

P.
Didn't he play all instruments? He'd be conducting himself through an earlier take?

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:29 pm

Right after the intro to 'Poncho and Lefty', before the vocals start, that piano Bonk!
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:57 am

famulous wrote:In any case you can hear what might be the alltime Beatles edit during I Want You/She's so Heavy (3'42).
Nah...not even in the same ballpark as Strawberry fields (0:59).
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:06 am

Get Thee To A Nunnery wrote:
famulous wrote:In any case you can hear what might be the alltime Beatles edit during I Want You/She's so Heavy (3'42).
Nah...not even in the same ballpark as Strawberry fields (0:59).
Have you ever really listened to "She Loves You?"

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:49 pm

cgarges wrote: Have you ever really listened to "She Loves You?"

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I have, but I never heard an edit - I'll look for it next time I listen.
beware bee wear