Mistakes in famous recordings

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: edits

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:51 pm

joeysimms wrote:
cgarges wrote: Have you ever really listened to "She Loves You?"

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I have, but I never heard an edit - I'll look for it next time I listen.
There's about four of them. The one in the middle of the second verse is really bad.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: edits

Post by joeysimms » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:30 pm

cgarges wrote:
joeysimms wrote:
cgarges wrote: Have you ever really listened to "She Loves You?"

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I have, but I never heard an edit - I'll look for it next time I listen.
There's about four of them. The one in the middle of the second verse is really bad.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Awesome, thanks. It's a testament to how strong that hook (and whole track) is that I've never noticed the edits, too busy getting goosebumps and playing it again!
beware bee wear

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Classic mistake you see all the time...People decide they want to sound ?old school?. So they spend the bomb on vintage gear, then they spend a bomb on a studio packed with vintage gear. Then they thrash the crap out of each track, dropping in and dropping in until the finished recording is seamless and there are no imperfections at all.

Lotsa little imperfections are part of the 60?s sound.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Fri May 05, 2006 8:44 am

Michelle by the Beatles: After the instrumental bridge, whoever plays the little guitar fill going back into the chorus ends on the minor third of the scale instead of the major third (which is unfortunate, as this is a major chord).

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Fri May 05, 2006 4:46 pm

Okay, so everyone beat me to McCoy Tyner on "My Favorite Things". I've been loving that mistake since I was about 12. Some early Velvet Underground records have some great mistakes (and that's kind of the point.) The guitar solo on All Tomorrow's Parties (is that Lou or Steriling) is absolutely all over the map. Another favorite band of mine, Belle and Sebastian, have some great mistakes, too. Of course, they're kind of deliberately lo-fi (or were, back when they were making better records.)

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sat May 06, 2006 9:56 am

Speaking of the Velvet Underground, I never really liked that "blues" solo on Pale Blue Eyes...

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Sat May 06, 2006 12:19 pm

curtiswyant wrote:Speaking of the Velvet Underground, I never really liked that "blues" solo on Pale Blue Eyes...
Yeah, me neither. And it's really too bad, because that's one of my favorite songs.

tonic889
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tonic889 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:22 am

I was listening to Have a Cigar the other day and I noticed this strange squeaky noise at 3:36 during the guitar solo...Anybody else ever noticed this? I'm not even sure it's a mistake, but I don't know what else it is. Any thoughts?

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sun May 07, 2006 9:35 am

Man, I heard Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue" the other day, and that thing is just a total trainwreck...

Must've been one of the first times they ever played the thing, 'cause the band is clueless as to the changes, as is Mr. Cash...

Cool that such a mistake-riddled take could be such a big hit....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Mon May 08, 2006 7:06 am

A Boy Named Sue was so new, Johnny was reading the lyrics, as he sang them, it was of course, recorded live.....Pretty Danged Cool!....proving once again that you don't need perfection or even anything close to it to have a megga hit record!!!!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Mon May 08, 2006 2:48 pm

There is a really bad tape edit on the vocals during the last verse on the last song on "Hotel California", followed by some crash cymbal hits that just splatter and wash all over the place.

About 10 years ago I worked on a record and the engineer was introduced to me as having worked on the "Hotel California" album. So of course the first thing I say to him is "Hey! what's up with that tape edit at the end of the record?". He glared at me and didn't say anything. I've felt bad about that ever since.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon May 08, 2006 3:44 pm

SoftSupply wrote:I've felt bad about that ever since.
Don't. We're proud of you.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 08, 2006 8:12 pm

SoftSupply wrote:About 10 years ago I worked on a record and the engineer was introduced to me as having worked on the "Hotel California" album. So of course the first thing I say to him is "Hey! what's up with that tape edit at the end of the record?". He glared at me and didn't say anything. I've felt bad about that ever since.
Was it Bill Szymczyk? He doesn't really have any issue with sharing the fact that there's something like 37 edits in that tune.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Wed May 10, 2006 3:37 pm

Alice In Chains - Dam That River (Dirt)... Right before the first punch of the intro, you can tell the drummer was counting off with the hi-hats... but it's not in any kind of time that they bring it in. I can't not notice that.

Vanilla Fudge: intro to Elenor Rigby... Carmine Appice does this drum roll/creshendo/build up thing with the rest of the band. He hits his sticks in it a few times.

I don't know why I can't think of others, but I'll work on it.

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Fri May 26, 2006 11:14 pm

Devlarz wrote:There are others but I can't quite think of them at the moment. Anyone know of the story about The Kinks having the claim of being the first group to have the infamous F word on their recording? I have heard that it's right before the solo of either 'You really Got Me' or 'All Day and All Of The Night' but I've yet to here it. Apparently Ray was heckling his younger brother Dave right before his solo and Dave replied with an anger "F**k off!"

The Beatles- 'Hey Jude' somewhere shortly before the last chorus before going to the big outro you can hear either Lennon or Harrison saying 'f***ing hell'.
Ooh, The Kinks! The 'fuck off' in 'You Really Got Me' is covered with an overdub of Ray saying 'Oh no!' in a cheesy voice. Ray claims he shouted "fuck off" to Dave "to encourage him" right before the solo :). Those hand claps are hilarious... it makes it feel even more manic. The LA LA LA in "Got My Feet on the Ground" is so loud it feels like it vibrates my skull. In "So Long" from Kinda Kinks you can hear some weird pic noise with an echo that doesn't seem to correspond to the guitar part. On the next track, "You Shouldn't Be Sad" the doubled vocal doesn't match up very well in several places.

In Bob Dylan's "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" someone crows like a rooster in the first verse and makes Bob laugh. In the Beatles' "Michelle" you can hear the guitar amp buzzing at the end of the solo (left channel). Of course that hilariously bad edit in the middle of "Yer Blues"... classic! Another really funny edit is in Quasi's "Ghost vs. Vampire" in the outro (1:28ish). They start getting off track and then all of a sudden another set of drums takes over!