If you have 2:44, I could use your help

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

If you have 2:44, I could use your help

Post by IDQ » Tue May 23, 2006 11:10 am

Hi all -
This is a short song I've had kicking around for a while, and I'm trying to get it finished so I can work on more new things. I guess it would best be called electronic rock, though it is less electronic and more organic than some of my previous stuff.

Any advice on the recording, and especially mixing, would be much appreciated. I realize I'm kinda a lurker on this board, so nobody really knows me, but I thought I'd give it a shot nonetheless.

EDIT: I guess the link would help: http://www.magneticormosaic.com/M_M_Whe ... eComes.mp3

Thanks.

The geeky stuff:
Windows DAW with Sonar 2.2, Delta 66
Mackie HR824s
Carvin and Ibanez guitars
A really crappy drum kit
Vox pathfinder amp
a variety of analog effects with knobs to twist
my voice (almost as crappy as the drum kit)

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Wed May 31, 2006 5:21 pm

it's a bit muddy...and it could use work on the performance aspect. timing between sounds/instruments is a bit off. I'd start with the performance and work on that. you didn't state what microphones you were using for what though, and what your room is like, which could have a lot to do with pretty much everything. I like the idea of the song, I have an idea of what it could sound like at it's best (and it's pretty cool), but performance and sound wise it needs a bit of work. so what are your mics? interfaces? what about the room it was recorded in? (at least the live stuff) The voice isn't as much a problem as you might think, it fits with the vibe of the song fairly well in my opinion.
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Wed May 31, 2006 5:47 pm

Thanks for taking the time.
As far as mics go: the only two I own are an SM-58 and a Studio Projects B1, though I occasionally have access to a couple of nicer ones. Those two were used on this song. I just use the preamps on my delta at this time. The room is my home 'studio,' basically just an office or extra bedroom. It sounds good sometimes, other times not so much. It may be a source of some issues.

As far as the performance goes, can you be a bit more specific? There are both electronic and live drums in the track, and I'm sure my piano (sampled) and guitar could be sources of issue too. If there's a particular section that suffers most, let me know.

Thanks again,
Shawn

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:53 pm

well what I mean by the performance could use some work is...drums, keys, guitars, the timing is just off in a number of places. try playing to a click maybe? or whatever works for you to play each instrument in time with the others. I'm not the guy to ask about mix issues, it takes more experience than i have to be able to give good advice on that. i can say that you might wanna either change the casio sounding keyboard to something more like a grand piano, or either bring it down a bit and add some delay and/or thick reverb to it, give it some more highs...and I really think a very deep and powerful bass synth could add a lot to the emotional impact of the song. (if you were to do that, I'd try to keep the kick sounding as dirty as it does, for that downtempo techno/industrial kinda sound, i think that could work well)
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com