How old are your ears?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:57 pm

woo! just tried it in my design class. my teacher couldn't hear it at all, and this guy who's in his 30s and used to be a raver couldn't hear it, but all of us who are 21 or so could hear it and it was loud as shit. crazy! makes me feel good!

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:54 pm

I can barely hear it. But what else is new.

I'm 26.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Crap. Cannot hear it at all. I'm 34.

My six year old can hear it and my wife (30) can hear it.

Too many ear aches as a youngin' and too many band practices/shows without earplugs.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:26 pm

Well, I CAN hear it through my AKG K240 headphones, but I had to turn them up a bit.

To my wife's displeasure, I cranked my monitors and could hear it as well.

Not sure what it means that I have to play it very loud to hear it.

I don't feel as old as I felt 15 minutes ago.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:11 pm

I'm 34, and I can hear it just fine, which is nice to know. I'm sure I have hearing damage from years of playing drums w/o earplugs, so I'm a little surprised at how easily I can hear this.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:49 pm

sounds like there are two factors at play, and one of them is *not* rockin' out:

1) we (here) are generally more sensitive to sound than the general population, so we're going to hear it and actively respond to it. (aggravating factor)

2) we each have different hearing to begin with, which carries forward into adulthood, regardless of what happens time-wise. (varying/indeterminant factor).

yeah, loud noise fucks with your hearing, but apparently not enough until you're getting up there in years.

jmblack
pluggin' in mics

Post by jmblack » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:10 pm

I'm 25 and I can hear it. This tone is pretty earitating. :oops: For fun, I generated some tones and I could hear up to about 17.9 KHz. After that I could "feel" it up to about 18.2 KHz at the same volume. After that, nothing. Unless its my monitors (active Alesis MK2's), D/A, or some other weak link in my signal path.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:52 am

oh man. loud and clear on my pc speakers, even with the volume barely on. they were talking about this on the radio the other morning when i was in my usual hour-long process of draggin my ass outta bed. they kept playing the tone, the woman in the studio was SCREAMING every time "turn it off turn it off!!! oooooooooowwwww!" and the dumb-ass male host, who couldn't hear it at all, was all "i don't get it. what are you people talking about? i don't hear anything....this is a bunch of hype."

moron.

awhile back in the studio we were playing with a tone generator, had it set for 23khz, which none of us could hear at all, except for one guy (the youngest one in the room, now that i think about it) who got VERY uncomfortable every time we turned it on...

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:17 pm

Wow, at 43, with something like 25 years of playing in loud bands and not wearing earplugs nearly often enough, I can hear it! I'm kinda surprised, actually.

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:44 pm

jmblack wrote:I'm 25 and I can hear it. This tone is pretty earitating. :oops: For fun, I generated some tones and I could hear up to about 17.9 KHz. After that I could "feel" it up to about 18.2 KHz at the same volume. After that, nothing. Unless its my monitors (active Alesis MK2's), D/A, or some other weak link in my signal path.
I was wondering the same thing. Here's how you can get past it. Put a full frequency microphone next to your ear. Turn the sound on. If the microphone registers a sound on a Vu meter, the monitor is delivering the sound. You're just not hearing it.

= Justin