Can

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

instamatic
ass engineer

Can

Post by instamatic » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:53 am

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:17 am

there is a can dvd out there that is ridiculously comprehensive. bunch of live shows, tv shows, couple of docs...

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:24 pm

Esmo wrote:there is a can dvd out there that is ridiculously comprehensive. bunch of live shows, tv shows, couple of docs...
I have it, and can't recommend it highly enough for the kraut-obssessed among y'all. What an awesome band.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Ditto.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:25 pm

NewAndImprov wrote:
Esmo wrote:there is a can dvd out there that is ridiculously comprehensive. bunch of live shows, tv shows, couple of docs...
I have it, and can't recommend it highly enough for the kraut-obssessed among y'all. What an awesome band.
i was finally able to to "get inside" those can drum beats once i could see jaki playing them and had a bit more of a view into his head than from just listening to the records. the best rock band ever.

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:18 am

I don't get it. This band falls into the same category as Television for me.

The category is: bands you are supposed to like because someone else told you they are great. Sorry.

The Dizzy songs is a wanking 2 chord jam that sounds exactly like what I do with my buddies when we get together.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:00 am

inflatable wrote:I don't get it. This band falls into the same category as Television for me.

The category is: bands you are supposed to like because someone else told you they are great. Sorry.

The Dizzy songs is a wanking 2 chord jam that sounds exactly like what I do with my buddies when we get together.
hey, you should listen to can. they're really great.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:46 am

inflatable wrote:I don't get it. This band falls into the same category as Television for me.

I have a niece who never tried whipped cream because she thought she wouldn't like it. We were all on holiday on a Norwegian glacier, and our host served wild blueberries with fresh whipped cream every night for dessert. It was phenomenally delicious. We kept prodding her to try it, but she stubbornly refused. Finally, the last night, she caved and tasted a spoonful. Realizing her error, she broke into sobs, knowing then what she'd been missing all this time.

I'm sure it's different for you, though. We are all eating shit burgers, and you are the only one with enough presence of mind to say, "No shit for me, thanks!"

:wink:

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:37 am

also, i only listen to bands someone tells me are awful! that's how i decide what to listen to, by reacting against what others are.

anyone listen to the concert from like 73, live at koln or something, with a bunch of well known damo-era songs? the songs are all radically different, with tiny touches of the original peeking out now and then. really interesting.

instamatic
ass engineer

Post by instamatic » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:50 pm

[quote="thethingwiththestuff"][quote="NewAndImprov"][quote="Esmo"]there is a can dvd out there that is ridiculously comprehensive. bunch of live shows, tv shows, couple of docs...[/quote]

I have it, and can't recommend it highly enough for the kraut-obssessed among y'all. What an awesome band.[/quote]

i was finally able to to "get inside" those can drum beats once i could see jaki playing them and had a bit more of a view into his head than from just listening to the records. the best rock band ever.[/quote]

hey! what exactly is jaki doing to get that chuggachugga thing.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:38 pm

ok, first off, be german. then play with perfect posture, metronomic precision, impeccable dynamics, blah blah all the stuff that people love him for. the little technique tips stem off of that though...

he never actually plays what can be rhythmically implied. like, the bass drum is always simpler than you think because of the interaction with the ghost notes. in 3, he very often plays a groove that feels more like 4. that's all kind of obvious when you listen, but upon watching the dvd the big thing i took from him was that many of the 16th note fills like vitamin c are double strokes. extremely even, consistent double stroke fills.

i really think the biggest part is dynamic control. every little hit....

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:05 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:

hey, you should listen to can. they're really great.
I did listen to them. 4 different tracks, all the way thru. I just don't like it.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:15 pm

inflatable wrote:
I did listen to them. 4 different tracks, all the way thru. I just don't like it.
Of course, if those four songs were off the wrong record (ie. post -'75 material, I wouldn't blame you for thinking that way. Not that I don't like any of their later works, but it is certainly a different "ball o' wax" at that point. That being said, there is a certain something about Can that I can see folks, who's musical taste I might otherwise respect, may simply not warm up to...even though I do get kinda bummed out when I hear this, such is my personal connection to their music. Myself...I just find it hard to imagine that musicians and/or music fans could listen to the prime Can records (Monster Movie and pretty much everything with Damo Suzuki) and not bow down in submission to the life-changing force of their music. Than again, I remember a friend of mine mentioning that they used the Ege Bamyasi record to clear rooms at parties. Go figure...he may have simply been referring to the 'Soup' song, which even I usually skip past.

If you ever feel compelled to give 'em another chance try to pick up Tago Mago (the first record of the double LP set - or first four tunes as it were on a CD) or Ege Bamyasi and let 'em spin. Or better yet, just get a copy of the tune 'Mother Sky' and let it cook.

BTW...I'm totally with you on Television. I have really tried to just like, let alone "love" the Marquee Moon record, but it just doesn't grab me. Not that I hate it - and there are a couple tunes that are pretty swell - but it just doesn't do much for me. I do like the live thing that ROIR put out though. That's pretty sweet. And I reallly dig some of Verlaine's solo work too.

Bow down to the masters of sound!!

soundispatch
ass engineer

Post by soundispatch » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:02 am

I don't get it. This band falls into the same category as Television for me.

You don't like the music you make with your friends?

Kidding aside, the (deceptive) simplicity is one of the prime reasons why Can remains so universal and relevant today. They are in fact master minimalists, and their music can't really be criticized for not having enough chords, any more than Ornette Coleman could be criticized for not having enough chord 'structure'.

If you and your friends can produce something as wonderfully psychedelic as 'Dizzy Dizzy' in a wanking (?) improvised session, then please call up Damo for a gig!

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:18 pm

centurymantra wrote: BTW...I'm totally with you on Television. I have really tried to just like, let alone "love" the Marquee Moon record, but it just doesn't grab me.
I just heard the title track recently (on the internet radio) and liked it so much I ran out and bought the album. That's taste for you, though. Hell, I hated the Velvet Underground for years, and just recently began to appreciate them. I also now can't stand much of the music I listened to in my early 20's (but I still like lots of the stuff I liked when I was a teenager, just not as much).

I still need to hear Can, though. I think I heard Naked City cover them once.