Eva Cassidy - Fields Of Gold

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Eva Cassidy - Fields Of Gold

Post by Silverlode » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 pm

Whoa...I am stunned sitting here listening to this recording.

Sting's 'Fields Of Gold' sung by Eva Cassidy. Sometimes it takes a different artist than the songwriter to truly realize a song. I am not familiar with Eva Cassidy, someone just gave me this recording to check out.

Just guitar and her haunting voice.

Man...
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:21 am

Eva Cassidy is little known and rocks the universe. I would love to know more about her recordings.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Cosmic Closet
audio school

Post by Cosmic Closet » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:38 pm

Eva Cassidy's story is heartbreaking. Death from illness at such an early age, with such talent finally starting to be recognized. Her kind of being a "local girl" (I live in Washington DC), if you have never heard her "Live at Blues Alley" recording, by all means find it and do so; one of the great live discs.

As an aside, life's coincidences can be amazing. Back when I was working my way up in the TV broadcast world, I shot and edited a video piece for a community college TV channel in the area. The subject was a couple living in Maryland; he was an artist working in cast iron to make fun, quirky animal sculptures, and he was a delight to meet and tape.

It was not until years later I heard of Eva Cassidy, and finally saw some information that made me put 2 and 2 together:
That couple was her parents. Had I but known....

Best,
CC.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."