Bands that make you strangely angry

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

pootkao
gettin' sounds

Post by pootkao » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:25 pm

Hmmmm ... I'll second the distaste for Modest Mouse and The Decemberists, though I won't walk out of a room if they get put on. MM did put on one of the worst shows I've ever seen though.

My nod has gotta go to Broken Social Scene though. I've seen 'em twice, tried to give their records a chance, and for the love of God, I still just don't get it. They've got lots of "ideas" ... just not any "songs". Its tough to listen to music that doesn't have a centre.
"I choose not the suffocating anaesthetic of the suburbs, but the violent jolt of the capital, that is my choice." (Virginia Woolf)

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:58 pm

trask wrote:
Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac- do I really need to explain?
Yes, you do.
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

saint360
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saint360 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:09 pm

pootkao wrote: My nod has gotta go to Broken Social Scene though. I've seen 'em twice, tried to give their records a chance, and for the love of God, I still just don't get it. They've got lots of "ideas" ... just not any "songs". Its tough to listen to music that doesn't have a centre.
Really? I like BSS, and really liked their self-titled album (though it's got so much clipping and compression it makes my head hurt after a full listen) and everyone says their live shows are amazing. I can see what you are saying, though, about their music not exactly having a "center". But that has never really bothered me. I kind of prefer their less direct approach to music and lyrics myself. But then I'm the guy who likes Big Star, Yo La Tengo, My Bloody Valentine, His Name is Alive and lots of other music that could be accused of the same. It's all subjective. That's what makes the world go around, I guess.

I'll join the ranks of people who just can't get into the Decemberists. And Modest Mouse made their last good album with "The Lonesome Crowded West." Now they just annoy me.

Can't remember if this has been mentioned yet, but I just can't figure out what the big deal is with Cat Power. A cool band name wasted.

tunesbybill
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tunesbybill » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:08 am

Meriphew wrote:Any singer who was manufactured through American Idol. I loathe all of them. They represent everything that is evil in the music industry IMO.
Shit yes. ANY contest that ends in some one "winning" a record contract is lame. It preys on dreams and morons that are out to make cash and not music. Don't get me wrong, i would love to make money, but I respect what i do and don't want it that way.

Also anything that is trying to sound "lo-fi" while using High dollar equipment.

"indie" music. It's not supposed to be a sound. It's a state of being.

This new wave of psuedo british pop-punk. The "the" bands.
Welcome to the revolution!

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Randy wrote:Guided by Voices.

Yeah, almost everyone I know loves them, but I have a problem with people singing in fake English accents.
I got in alot of trouble for saying this in an interview back in like 1994...

I was living in KY at the time, but friends of mine say that Pollard was "calling me out" @ GBV shows in Boston wanting to kick my ass or something!!!

1. Why would I be at his show after saying something like this?
2. It is a bit of a waste of time to try to defend singing in an English accent... WHEN YOU DO / DID!

It was like Sebadoh getting mad for someone saying... "Your early records sound like they were made on a fourtrack."

-Jason

Phil Owl
takin' a dinner break

Post by Phil Owl » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:48 pm

ALL of the following:

RAP - Yeah, I'm real impressed with idiots who are too lazy to create their own music to start with (the sampling of other people's stuff, even if it's legal), and are even more lazy in that ALL they talk about is killing, degrading women and taking drugs, not to mention a vocabulary that's is 99% profanities anyway.

Emo or more accurately SCREAMO

Nu-metal - All rage, all the time, downtuning is cliched and TOOL has a bad case of Lionel Richie Disease, namely they keep writing the EXACT same song in D over and over again

Death Metal - c'mon,.the Cookie Monster and violence thing got old years ago

Pop-Country This stuff is obviously FAKE, like bad Celine Dion records with a cowboy hat. And ANY so-called "modern country album that has credits for hair and makeup is NOT really country!

Neo-Prog I mean really, how many times can you POSSIBLY water down and rehash Phil Collins period Genesis and Tormato-period Yes?

Phil Owl
takin' a dinner break

Re: Help me love again

Post by Phil Owl » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:59 pm

JASIII wrote:
treble king wrote: Dave Matthews and his followers, many and legion.
Wow, it took until page 4 for someone to mention dave matthews. we are slipping here folks, let's pull it together.
No argument there! DM would NEVER have made it if he didn;t have those good musicians behind him because let's face it, he is severely LIMITED vocally and instrumentally.

Phil Owl
takin' a dinner break

Post by Phil Owl » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:02 pm

lg wrote:um...pet shop boys...duran duran...limp bizkit...coldplay.

on a related note, just about anything nic harcourt thinks is cool is bound to suck, like a whole lot.

a little off-topic, but most earnest show tunes make me want to drown someone in their own vomitus...

thank you- i feel better now.
I almost forgot,m the slightest sound of Ethel Merman or Carol Channing makes me VIOLENTLY mad! :evil:

mcmurrich
audio school graduate

Post by mcmurrich » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:47 pm

can't remember if this has been mentioned yet, but I just can't figure out what the big deal is with Cat Power. A cool band name wasted.
wow. i absolutley love cat power. i think she is one of the best singers of our generation. the last time i saw her solo i could not believe her voice/phrasing. timeless.

i guess it really is subjective.
stand by. we're rolling.

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 am

Phil Owl wrote: ...Emo or more accurately SCREAMO...
Are you sure?
Screamo is a word that's thrown onto almost everything today without any knowledge of it's actual history.
Nothing that is called screamo today sounds anything like the stuff that the term originated from.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:30 am

TheForgotten wrote:
Are you sure?
Screamo is a word that's thrown onto almost everything today without any knowledge of it's actual history.
Nothing that is called screamo today sounds anything like the stuff that the term originated from.
totally. i'll take some one-eyed-god-prophecy or Union of Uranus any day...

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:02 pm

trodden wrote:
TheForgotten wrote:
Are you sure?
Good man.

P.S. I like you're band.
I think you guys played here 3 or four years ago. MusicHead.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:26 pm

TheForgotten wrote:
trodden wrote:
TheForgotten wrote:
Are you sure?
Good man.

P.S. I like you're band.
Thank you!

yep..we've not done the musichead for a few years... are they still doing shows?

we did a short west coast tour over labor day.. Eugene, Berkeley, SF, LA, San Diego, Sacramento.

it was ok, i wasn't happy with a lot of my performances,.. to many technical difficulties and shitty sound situations so i had a hard time concentrating on the rock... hard to do with having to wear "stage manager" "soundperson" hats at the same time as bonus rocker.

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:28 pm

trodden wrote:
TheForgotten wrote:
trodden wrote:
TheForgotten wrote:
Are you sure?
Good man.

P.S. I like you're band.
Thank you!

yep..we've not done the musichead for a few years... are they still doing shows?

we did a short west coast tour over labor day.. Eugene, Berkeley, SF, LA, San Diego, Sacramento.

it was ok, i wasn't happy with a lot of my performances,.. to many technical difficulties and shitty sound situations so i had a hard time concentrating on the rock... hard to do with having to wear "stage manager" "soundperson" hats at the same time as bonus rocker.
Yeah, we're still doing it.
I just had Grayceon up here on Sunday.
Did Greg book you guys last time?
If not, who was it?
If you guys wanna come, just let me know.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:40 pm

i absolutley love cat power. i think she is one of the best singers of our generation. the last time i saw her solo i could not believe her voice/phrasing. timeless.
Did you see the Austin City Limits where she sat in with The Flaming Lips ?
I was impressed with how far off key she could sing.
(Granted it wasn't her music, but still...)