lost Hendrix album??

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

lost Hendrix album??

Post by ubertar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Apparently, Stephen Stills claims to have recorded an album with Hendrix he forgot about for around 40 years:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a1087 ... vered.html

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:08 am

Interesting, how does one completly forget recording a hendrix album.

Unless it was forgettable material.

Either way, i'd love to hear it.
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:05 pm

RedCrownStudios wrote:Interesting, how does one completly forget recording a hendrix album.
by being Stephen Stills, IOW regularly doing enough drugs to incapacitate a stadium full of mountain gorillas.

that would tend to make you forget stuff.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:53 pm

Ah....I am glad I was drinking milk or anything when I read your comment. I undoubtedly would have shot it thru my nose.

Thanks for the laugh, and yes, that definetly would probably make you forget.

:D
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:50 am

If some of the stuff written about him is true, Steve Stills would be the least credible witness on earth for something like this.

The Neil Young megabio SHAKEY says that Stills claimed to be a combat veteran . . . and it simply never happened.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:29 am

I think I already have a version of something called "Stills-Hendrix Sessions" that I found somewhere. If I remember correctly it consists of three or four approx. 15-minute blues jams. I bet that's what Stephen Stills remembers as some kind of album recording project. If that's what they're releasing, don't waste your money on it. It's just your typical early 1970s pothead burnout type stuff, nothing essential.

Lord Fader
audio school

Post by Lord Fader » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:21 pm

I've never heard any "lost"/post-humous Hendrix stuff that was worth much. My Ma just gave me a Hendrix book for my birthday that included a sessions out takes disk. It was painful. It won't be long until Jimi's family and friends have squeezed his corpse for every last cent and we will be free from this sort of stuff.

Spoonie
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Spoonie » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:24 pm

Tatertot are you not thinking of the supersession with stills, al kooper and mike bloomfield. it's hard to imagine forgetting recording a full album with jimi hendrix, hmm what am i doing this week...recording monday with jimi hendrix dinner on tuesday golf on wednesday nothing much. Although he did work with hendrix on his solo album

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:45 pm

Tatertot wrote: It's just your typical early 1970s pothead burnout type stuff, nothing essential.
as a late 1990's pothead burnout type, might i find it to be essential?

:^:

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Spoonie wrote:Tatertot are you not thinking of the supersession with stills, al kooper and mike bloomfield. it's hard to imagine forgetting recording a full album with jimi hendrix, hmm what am i doing this week...recording monday with jimi hendrix dinner on tuesday golf on wednesday nothing much. Although he did work with hendrix on his solo album
Maybe, maybe not. I'll have to try to remember to dig through my piles of CDRs and find it. I might plain forget, as I am not particularly interested (honestly)

I do believe, totally, that Stills is one of those people who has forgotten large swaths of his life. I hope he someday tells his side of the story about him and Elvis Costello getting into a bar fight in the late 1970s after Costello made fun of the reconstructive metal plates in his nose which were necessitated by way too much cocaine.

I like Stills, I'm just not that interested in him. It's an odd combination.

Spoonie
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Spoonie » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:27 pm

haahaa no i think we wont here about that story because he's probably too embarrassed. yeah stills is good but start telling me his life story, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. i

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Stephen Stills looks like a junior high P.E. teacher.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:55 am

Ok... I have something labeled 5-21-68. It's the 2 of them on guitar, drums sound like Buddy Miles (was he even around in 68?), bass, no vocals so far. 2 chords for the first 5 minutes. It sounds like the kind of jamming you get when the musicians are simultaneously watching a bruce lee movie on tv (sort of listless)

I don't think this could be the new album release. That would be a dreadful swindle on the part of the industry (not their first)

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:37 am

I have a few casette tapes I made off some vinyl bootlegs of Hendrix outtakes. It is true that it's mostly pretty non-essential...typically a lot of it is "kind of cool" or "interesting to listen to", with occasional shining nuggets of semi-brilliance and a fair amount of turgid stuff that doesn't really do much. I do have a copy of one pretty good bootleg that was called "Ladyland in Flames". It had a couple pieces with John McLaughlin jamming with Hendrix that were pretty neat. The 'Nine to the Universe' LP is arguably an outtake release, and I will say that I think that record is pretty amazing, one of my favs actually.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

kraigmason
audio school graduate

Post by kraigmason » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:57 pm

The Timothy Leary album "You Can Be Anything This Time Around" is a jam that includes Stills, Buddy Miles and Hendrix (on bass), plus maybe some other folks.
At the time that I listened to it I was under the stars in Vail, Colorado on a warm summer night.
It was an amazing experience...
Listening to it again later under non-psychoactive conditions...it just wasn't the same.
But, hell, it was still Hendrix!