Earth Wind and Fire

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Earth Wind and Fire

Post by Knight79 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:36 am

I think this band's super positive quasi religious vibe took away from the fact that they were making some of the nastiest funk of their time. Their songs are incredible whether you are looking for beautifully arranged, melodic R&B or in your face funk, they did it all. If you haven't really given them a listen then your in luck because the world is awash in their used vinyl. Pick one up today!

One of the best songs ever.....period....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jISrk2L4htM

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:15 am

I think "Star" is a super badass tune. (Not "Shining Star," although that one's cool, too.) EWF were incredible funky and it does seem like not many people talk about them anymore.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:00 am

i worked as a staff engineer at The Complex in west lost angeles for years. EWF were a part of building that studio with george massenburg. we had two fully custom built massenburg consoles. we also had a "live console" that was used on the sound stages that massenburg had built as well.

both main studios were built to be quite dead in that 70's style and we did a lot of music and post sessions there, (the main spot for simpsons/fox animation series ADR and full cast recording)

i haven't worked there for 7 years, but what kills me is they have a web site for the studio these days and they don't mention ANYTHING about those massenburg desks or the racks of gear george built. we had an amazing mic collection, too..multiple m49, m50, c12a, etc. on the website it says:
"O2R audio board; 16 mono, 4 stereo Buss inputs plus AUX.
4 Sennheiser MKE2 wireless mics and a large assortment of wired mics."
looks like they let go of one of those massenburg desks that was in the small studio and put an O2R there. jesus. i do know that there was a 3rd desk that was sold to the church of scientology! i bet travolta and cruise mix awesome FOH at their get togethers.

http://www.thecomplexstudios.com/

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Weird, I was just getting back into them for the first time in years.

SPIRIT is a badass album. Just ignore the words, pretend it's in another language.

Interesting frequency "palette" on their albums -- with all the horns and falsetto vocals, and the high, dry drums, it's a whole different deal. Seems to be more about the way they sounded as a band than what the engineer was doing, but the engineering on those records is always impeccable.

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:20 am

tateeskew wrote:i worked as a staff engineer at The Complex in west lost angeles for years. EWF were a part of building that studio with george massenburg. we had two fully custom built massenburg consoles. we also had a "live console" that was used on the sound stages that massenburg had built as well.

both main studios were built to be quite dead in that 70's style and we did a lot of music and post sessions there, (the main spot for simpsons/fox animation series ADR and full cast recording)

i haven't worked there for 7 years, but what kills me is they have a web site for the studio these days and they don't mention ANYTHING about those massenburg desks or the racks of gear george built. we had an amazing mic collection, too..multiple m49, m50, c12a, etc. on the website it says:
"O2R audio board; 16 mono, 4 stereo Buss inputs plus AUX.
4 Sennheiser MKE2 wireless mics and a large assortment of wired mics."
looks like they let go of one of those massenburg desks that was in the small studio and put an O2R there. jesus. i do know that there was a 3rd desk that was sold to the church of scientology! i bet travolta and cruise mix awesome FOH at their get togethers.

http://www.thecomplexstudios.com/
Awesome. There albums just jump through the speakers. I would love to know about the gear they used.

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:23 am

percussion boy wrote:Weird, I was just getting back into them for the first time in years.

SPIRIT is a badass album. Just ignore the words, pretend it's in another language.

Interesting frequency "palette" on their albums -- with all the horns and falsetto vocals, and the high, dry drums, it's a whole different deal. Seems to be more about the way they sounded as a band than what the engineer was doing, but the engineering on those records is always impeccable.
Agreed. I'm an athiest and always assumed their lyrics were just generically "spiritual" so it never bothered me. Or do they have an agenda to a particular religion?