the most horrifying thing I've ever put to tape....

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

the most horrifying thing I've ever put to tape....

Post by Knight79 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:38 pm

ancient china in mono

http://www.zshare.net/audio/51630792bc2f12f2/

myspace: rangerzz

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Grabbing it now. Thanks.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:11 pm

Okay, it is not horrifying to me. It's just cool. It's like listening to the sound of a murky swamp at 3 am. Real nice. What are the methods/materials for all your stuff? I assume you lean heavily on bounces?

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:56 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:Okay, it is not horrifying to me. It's just cool. It's like listening to the sound of a murky swamp at 3 am. Real nice. What are the methods/materials for all your stuff? I assume you lean heavily on bounces?
Thanks!.......from all of the stuff I have posted it varies a great deal. I'll say this, I record on a cassette 8 track which by default will yield low fidelity. Now one track is blown so the most you ever hear is 7 tracks and I don't bounce down. Still, 7 tracks recorded in the red on little cassette tape will smear it together. Then I take that stereo mix just bounce it between my computer and a stereo tape deck back and forth until I get what I want. My equipment is primitive, crappy guitar and bass, crappy $100 effects box,borrowed keyboard, old out of tune tom toms, bongos, coke bottles and delay pedals. I do have a noisy pre-sonus mic pre-amp that I use to boost keyboard and percussion and a $100 audix mic, that's as fancy as it gets.

I'm heavily influenced by Spencer Clark and James Ferraro of the Skaters. They both have many side projects. If your're not familiar with them you can download a lot of their projects at http://take-off-your-shoes.blogspot.com/ (Go about a third of the way down the page) Their music is released in such limited quantities and they are so hard to get a hold of that I don't feel bad about downloading it unless I know I can buy it somewhere which is usually next to impossible. Most people who do buy the originals, share them. Their methods are far more primitive than mine from what I have read but they create some killer sounds and cool atmospheres. It's obvious I'm borrowing their aesthetic (okay, maybe ripping off in some instances) but I'm trying to do something different with it and maybe in the process I will create my own sound, who knows. I'm getting away from any rock format and future stuff will probably be more along the lines of this latest track. Anyway thanks again and I will post more stuff as I finish.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Nice. Having done a lot of cassette multitrack back in the day, hearing this makes me feel like I'm there again. All those lovely, dark, murk-er-ific sounds make me think of spending hours in a basement with a fender rhodes, arp axxe, alesis hr16, yamaha spx60 and alot of time.
Prog out with your cog out.