5 Albums That Changed Your Life

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

agrpap
pluggin' in mics

Post by agrpap » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:11 am

These are five of my most life-changing albums....not necessarily my faves, but certainly among the most impactful:

Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Simply my favorite album ever. Love it as much now as I did when it came out (1984). I was a Freshman in high school and this was the soundtrack to some of the greatest moments in my life.

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
My first Beatle record bought for me when I was 7. I watched "Yellow Submarine" on TV the night before and flipped. My mom bought me Pepper and MMT the next day.

The Who - Quadrophenia
My big brother introduced me to all the Classic Rock stuff (except The Beatles, whom I found for myself). This one meant everything to me for a long time.

Blur - Park Life
I hated Nirvana and the whole scene that emerged on the heels of their success; so much so that I dove headlong onto Techno and Hip-Hop. This is the album that made me love songs and guitars again.

Duran Duran - Rio
My gateway album into New Wave/Alternative music. Showtime would play the ebntire DD video collection back in 1982 and I thought they were the coolest thing going.
do i have to?

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mhuxtable » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:13 am

The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds I know this is like duh, but seriously I can still listen to this record 3 times through front to back and just get lost in the amazing things Brian was able to accomplish.

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon First time I ever heard this record one of my friends put it on with the Wizard of Oz. I was blown away by the melody and harmony of the vocals as well as the tonality and textures of the guitars.

Green Day, Dookie This was the album that made me want to PLAY music. I was 10. It was awesome.

Sigur Ros, ( ) All of their albums are incredible, but the soundscapes on this one still amaze me and capture my ears.

mewithoutYou, Brother, Sister Every one of their albums gets better and better, which is awesome because so many bands blow their load quick and never improve. Not so with mewithoutYou. Each new album is better than the last, and this one is just incredible not only due to the recording sounds, but the music and lyrics are just phenominal.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:42 am

*keeps meaning to do that Dark Side-o-Moon/Wizard of Oz thing someday*

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:20 am

I have bad taste in music.

Neurosis Enemy of the Sun was pretty much a revelation at the time. It fit well into my pot-dulled late teens "are you lost?" nihilism. On top of that it scared the poop outta me.

Entombed Clandestine is a frenzied whirlwind of chaos, youthful fury and Nicke Andersson's brilliant, god-like melding of guitar and drum intricacy. Nicke of course played the drums but also wrote most of the tunes.

Melvins Bullhead. Hello, Dale Crover.

Charles Mingus Town Hall Concert. I am a Mingus/Dolphy fanatic and this is about as good as it gets.

Deathspell Omega Fas -- Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum sounds like nothing I've ever heard before. Pure menace. Impossible music played live and raw.

bigtexasthriller
pluggin' in mics

Post by bigtexasthriller » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:17 pm

Replacements - Tim

How I learned to write songs was from Paul Westerberg on that album

Clash - London Calling

Otis Redding's Greatest Hits

How I learned to play guitar was from Steve Cropper on that album

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

Changed my approach to playing guitar as an adult.....especially after seeing Kenny Vaughn on the tour......
Do the best you can with what you have.....

www.myspace.com/jacksonrockstar

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:04 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:*keeps meaning to do that Dark Side-o-Moon/Wizard of Oz thing someday*
i have a DVD of Oz with DSOTM synced to a particular lion roar as the audio track and it meshes spookily well.

if you're really curious, PM me and i might be able find a way for you to see this.

apart from which lion roar you choose, it really depends mostly on the length pre-roll at the beginning and how big the gap between sides 1 and 2 is, cos those vary alot from CD release to CD release.

example: the one i have from the 1992 Shine On box set works fine, but the SACD supposedly (i didn't buy it) doesn't cos they shortened the pause between sides.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

henge
studio intern

Post by henge » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:45 am

1. Sgt. Peppers...duh!
2. Security...Gabriel
3. Toy Matinee
4. Avalon
5. A few Small Repairs.
Anton Evans
Reaper, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600, Soundtoys, BFD2, Pod X3, Fender Vibro Champ, CSR, Smith CR5G, HS80m's, KRK, Stillwell Plugs

http://www.antonevans.com
[url]

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

hmm

Post by jeddypoo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:41 pm

1. Velvet Underground & Nico & White Light/White Heat

I bunch em' into one because they were equally important. These albums changed the way I thought about songwriting and instrument playing and singing permanently. It was like a Rosetta Stone for pop music aesthetics for me. I remember the first time I heard VU & Nico, I sat there in awe thinking "You can do THAT?! And THAT?! And THAT?!". Essential.

2. Pixies- Surfer Rosa/Doolittle

See above, only it came out 20 some years later.

3. Jesus & Mary Chain- Psychocandy

Deeply indebted to the VU and The Beach Boys, but still astonishingly abrasive, eerie, and above all, accessible. Another landmark.

4. The Modern Lovers- The Modern Lovers

Innocent, venal, rooted in history but forward-looking. I don't know what the hell happened to him after this, but this was another record that taught me an awful lot.

5. Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons- Hits

One of the most underrated and unfairly lambasted acts of the 60s. Their arrangements were light-years ahead of a lot of people and they made amazing-sounding records. Next time you hear "Dawn", pay attention to the details.

I wish I could put more on this.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:28 pm

Ramones - s/t
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo.
Van Morrison - Moon Dance
Kinks - Kinda Kinks
The Marked Men - On The Outside

lawson
audio school graduate

wynton

Post by lawson » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:04 pm

i don't care that wynton, or anyone, is a traditionalist. traditionalism is awesome if you want it to be.

what sucks about wynton is that he's an arrogant SOB who trots around with his cajun-aristocracy schnozzz pointed up at his penthouse.

i say praise george benson for moving away from straightahead and making smoother records with his vox and good looks and going to the BANK.

but george benson has always been and will always be a sweet, open-minded&hearted guy.

everyone I know who has ever had anything to do with wynton (except for a pompous crackhead drummer) say that he is a pompous ass.

sorry if off-topic but i want to write this [w]ight[[e-g-h] now

praise kindness, love heights

love to all things everywhere

love to wynton. this is supposed to be the people's music. time to take the kids to the pool.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Are you posting in the right thread?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

lawson
audio school graduate

Post by lawson » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:17 pm

cgarges wrote:Are you posting in the right thread?
sorry chris,

i was just reading back a few pages in this thread and there were some sentiments about wynton... just wanted to throw my cents in.

hope i didn't misstep.

peace,
L

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:21 pm

No, no problem. I just couldn't find it after going back a couple of pages myself. You might want to use the quote function for stuff that far back, just to keep things clear. No worries.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

lawson
audio school graduate

Post by lawson » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:22 pm

oh yeah, and also,

afri[[k]]a/brass - coltrane

blues dream - frisell

paris 1919 - john cale

elliott smith

metal fatigue - allan holdsworth

(JK about holdsworth!!!)

mahler's 2nd - can't decide between boulez and rattle

y'all rule!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:23 pm

It should also be noted that knowing people who know Wynton myself and having met Branford, I can say that Branford is a super-nice, extremely well-spoken, open-minded individual.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC