"I'm Getting Pretty Good At Giving Up"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:44 pm

I like it when I like something I wouldn't normally like.

I know that makes sense in a senseless kinda way.

It's the kind of production that inspires me because it's so far different than anything I do, and I really enjoyed the song.

Can't complain about the mix one bit. I'm sure I could find things if I tried, but who couldn't - even for mixes by the best - when it's good, it's good, and the rest is opinion. The important thing is that nothing jumped out if it wasn't supposed to, and things that seemed like they were supposed to did.

Awesome.

Probably not much of a compliment coming from little ol' me, but there you go anyway.
I eat glue.

masonpitzel
alignin' 24-trk

Post by masonpitzel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 pm

I think that the vocals could be the tiniest bit louder in this newest mix. Just the tiniest bit.

But, man is this song awesome.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 am

I just want to say I really like the guitars on this. Great sound and really huge and all that, nice solo too. Did you play all the instruments yourself?

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:29 am

masonpitzel wrote:I think that the vocals could be the tiniest bit louder in this newest mix. Just the tiniest bit.

But, man is this song awesome.
+1 on both comments.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:51 am

I would keep the guitars in on the whole "I said no to sex and I said no to drugs..." part, I think it sounded better with them in.

To be honest I liked the rough mix fine, but I think the overall sound quality and clarity of the song improved with this mix.

masonpitzel
alignin' 24-trk

Post by masonpitzel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:26 am

I disagree. I think you should just have the vocals going in that section. Sounds great that way.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:32 pm

masonpitzel wrote:I disagree. I think you should just have the vocals going in that section. Sounds great that way.
This debate also goes on in my mind... I like the idea of losing the guitars for a verse, to add variety, but its kind of cheesy... and it makes the band cutting out on 'drugs' less effective. I'll print mixes both ways.

I've put up a new mix at the same link just now... I think it combines what was good about the rough mix and what was good about the new mix (I was referencing both when I did it)

Thanks again for listening and the advice!

-Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Sorry, the new mix is actually up NOW. My ftp program fucked up.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

may i redirect your attention to...

Post by dynomike » Mon May 11, 2009 3:37 pm

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

album done. new thread. just a bump for those watching this thread.