Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Post by iamthecosmos » Wed May 27, 2009 9:25 am

This album sounds absolutely amazing.

Don't suppose anyone here got the vinyl with the 12 page photo booklet? There's a small 8 channel Neve desk on one page, no idea what model. Aside from a picture of drums and some fx pedals there's not many pictures of the actual recording, which is disappointing.

Still, fantastic record. Really nice reverb and use of space and dynamics.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 27, 2009 9:40 am

Yeah I gotta pick this up. I've only heard two tracks, but I was pretty impressed. Loved the last full length, and they were amazing live. Did the bass player record this record too? I know he did most of "Yellow House" at home...which also sounds fantastic.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 am

Yeah, he produced and mixed it. It was recorded at Allaire Studios for the most part I think. There's a section in 'I Live With You' where it sounds like the girls doing the backing vocals crack up during a take, I hope that's genuine because it's pretty cool.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed May 27, 2009 10:17 am

great record. I bought the mp3s from amazon (still only $4 for the album), need to pick up the CD.

Fwd Pro
audio school

Post by Fwd Pro » Wed May 27, 2009 10:26 pm

[quote="iamthecosmos"]Yeah, he produced and mixed it. It was recorded at Allaire Studios for the most part I think. There's a section in 'I Live With You' where it sounds like the girls doing the backing vocals crack up during a take, I hope that's genuine because it's pretty cool.[/quote]

The band recently did a radio performance and interview on WNYC where they mention the giggling girls choir, actually: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =104338580. It's a bit long, I think, but definitely worth a listen. They talk at some length about their recording process, and they play a handful of tunes. If anyone has an hour to spare, it's pretty cool.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Thu May 28, 2009 11:42 am

garethschu wrote:
iamthecosmos wrote:Yeah, he produced and mixed it. It was recorded at Allaire Studios for the most part I think. There's a section in 'I Live With You' where it sounds like the girls doing the backing vocals crack up during a take, I hope that's genuine because it's pretty cool.
The band recently did a radio performance and interview on WNYC where they mention the giggling girls choir, actually: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =104338580. It's a bit long, I think, but definitely worth a listen. They talk at some length about their recording process, and they play a handful of tunes. If anyone has an hour to spare, it's pretty cool.
That was ace, I liked the stuff about the production of the new record. Really interesting.

Does anyone know what the electronic instrument Ed uses on Two Weeks is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbrq9CC1ips

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu May 28, 2009 4:18 pm

I thnk it's some kind of electric auto-harp type thing....probably through some effects too. I remeber my grade school had one and the teacher wouldn't let me take it home. jerk.

EDIT....I just remembered
OMNICHORD!

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Fri May 29, 2009 8:44 am

ott0bot wrote:I thnk it's some kind of electric auto-harp type thing....probably through some effects too. I remeber my grade school had one and the teacher wouldn't let me take it home. jerk.

OMNICHORD!
Awesome. I'd buy one but ebay has some crazy prices. This is exactly the kind of thing I like to run through pedals and sample.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri May 29, 2009 10:32 am

iamthecosmos wrote:
ott0bot wrote:I thnk it's some kind of electric auto-harp type thing....probably through some effects too. I remeber my grade school had one and the teacher wouldn't let me take it home. jerk.

OMNICHORD!
Awesome. I'd buy one but ebay has some crazy prices. This is exactly the kind of thing I like to run through pedals and sample.
Omnichords rule! I love mine.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Is that also an Omnichord in the chorus on Ready, Able?

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 am

the record is quite enjoyable,

also enjoyable is the fact that it debuted at no 8 on the billboard chart. another nail in the coffin for all who believe the only way to sell any records is to record in a big expensive studio and get released on a major. nice to see that the system itself is showing that people are wanting to actually buy records simply because of the music again.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:48 am

My wife just picked this up yesterday. hooray!

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:56 pm

iamthecosmos wrote:Yeah, he produced and mixed it. It was recorded at Allaire Studios for the most part I think. There's a section in 'I Live With You' where it sounds like the girls doing the backing vocals crack up during a take, I hope that's genuine because it's pretty cool.

I think most of it was recorded in a church.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:57 am

jckinnick wrote:

I think most of it was recorded in a church.
Indeed. From an interview with Dan:

"D: You recorded some at a church in Brooklyn. Where else was Veckatimest recorded?

DG: We went to Cape Cod, to Ed?s grandmother?s house. It?s a little old cottage near the ocean, and we set up in the living room next to the fireplace. We recorded a lot of the quieter material there, but we did the bulk of the record in upstate New York at Allaire Studios. We couldn?t afford the actual facilities, but a friend let us set up in a beautiful, cathedral-sized wooden room overlooking the Catskills, and Chris Taylor set up his mobile rig. It was the first time we were able to record loud together, to just really play as a band, which resulted in some of the more thrashing stuff on the record."