Radio Session Recording

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

James B
gimme a little kick & snare

Radio Session Recording

Post by James B » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 pm

As I've mentioned in other threads I've being recording some live sessions for a radio session at the studio in my university. I thought I'd post an example in the hope of getting a little feedback.

I'm quite happy with this one, maybe not my favourite track of the session but the others are longer. The band couldn't be more well practiced, they brought amps and drums that were superior to our standard backline and they generally made my life easy by being awesome. All these factors seem to be what makes the real difference with these live sessions rather than anything like mic selection or mixing decisions.

Recorded through an Audient desk to RADAR, mixed in the box in Logic. Used an SM7b on the vocals (my new favourite mic), MD421s on the guitars, DI bass, sm98 on the snare, c414s as overheads, audix D6 on the kick.

I described the band as a heavier version of The Wedding Present but that might be ridiculous/ entirely based on the singer's accent (these guys are from Manchester and The Wedding Present are from Leeds so that may be offensive, my southern ears can't tell)

Take a listen and please share any thoughts you might have-
http://soundcloud.com/jamesbrittan/radi ... -recording

Thanks

Chris Taylor
audio school

Post by Chris Taylor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi,

I listened to the track, it is a great performance recorded really well. I see what you mean about The Wedding Present, but it also reminds me of early 90's American bands.

Cheers,

Chris