vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
carpal tunnel

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Yeah, I've mentioned this one a couple times thus far, but it's such an interesting piece. This thing was removed from discogs as a saleable item when it was listed as The Beatles White Album, but if you search by Rutherford Chang you can still find it for sale, though no longer for the original $25 or so the 800 pressings that were made sold for. The first side can be heard on this site, the rest will doubtless end up on utube at some point.
Mr Chang's sound-art version has had all the identifiable text of its source album crossed out, torn away or blotted out. And the music itself, while obviously the Beatles white album, is a separate beast.

Back in the USSR gets off to a fairly synced start but surreal by the time twenty planes are taking off at its ending, Dear Prudence becomes trancelike, The less charitably coined 'Granny music' that John would call some of Paul's ditties, like Ob-la-di Ob-la-da, get refreshingly strange when layered 100 times, Lennon's I'm so tired and Harrison's While My Guitar.. get harrowing. Honey Pie a complete mess.
Personally, having heard the original to the bone, this is a great way to get new listening life out of the album.

“Whatever dude, where are the jazz records “
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 pm

I had the Seeburg app. I had to ditch it due to iPhone overcrowding, but worth looking for if you're a sucker for environmental kitsch.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
carpal tunnel

Post by shedshrine » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 am

Hey Gregg,
Drummer's perspective, what are some fave well recorded drum albums you've got, any genre, that made the transition to a great noise on vinyl.
Fer example: Bob Moses playing and the sound on this live recording is fantastic. Made me think of that big solo sequence in "Whiplash".
Open Sky self titled:

..and while we're at it, markjazzbassist, what are some standout bass recordings in your vinyl experience.
Last edited by shedshrine on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markjazzbassist
buyin' gear

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 am

FYI i'm an electric only guy so no upright on here.

soul/r&b
marvin gaye - let's get it on, james jamerson on bass. masterpiece playing/tone, but particularly the last track "just to keep you satisfied" is perfection.
ronnie mcneir - self titled (1972) bobby watson on bass. up front and warm sounding fender precision with flatwounds just superb playing.
leroy hutson - love oh love, victor chandler on bass. just perfect tone and note placement and groove, simple perfection.
donny hathaway - live, willie weeks on bass. a mount rushmore of soul bassists performance and tone. the solo on "voice inside everything is everything" is the pinnacle.
curtis mayfield - superfly, lucky scott on bass. simple, groovy, melodic, and tonally warm and punchy, lucky is one of my biggest influences.

jazz-ish
erik truffaz - the walk of the giant turtle, marcello guiliani on bass. like a modern "in a silent way" great tone and basslines.
jimmy smith - root down, wilton felder on bass. great tone and very athletic basslines for this uptempo soul-jazz set.
herbie hancock - thrust, paul jackson on bass. i don't love his tone (for me) but his athletic and always improvising lines are perfect counter-point to herbie.

Gregg Juke
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh, gawsh shed...

Soooo many. It depends on if you really mean sound, or performance, specific or irrespective of genre, etc., etc. I could fill up 20 posts. I'd bet Tony would say something similar.

I will say two that are killer for both sound and performance (but very different) are Tony Williams: New Tony Williams Lifetime "Believe It!" and Soungarden's "Superunknown."

On the Jazz schtick anything on Blue Note or Prestige recorded by Rudy Van Gelder. Also any Coltrane/!Impulse! with Elvin Jones, and Elvin Jones on Palo Alto.

Oh, yeah, I suppose an obligatory/de rigguer cite would have to be Steve Gadd on Steely Dan's "Aja."

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "