First recording with Hamptone (slow indie rock)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:09 pm

umm most of the guitar was ghetto reamped.. the part on the left (the trem part) certainly was... the reason i did that was so that i could fiddle with the trem speed knob as the song went on, to get a moving effect, which worked well. No fancy reamping impedance magic required! I just ran out of my board through a stepped attenuator to reduce the signal and into my compressor pedal before the amp. Worked pretty well I think. Wouldn't use it for rock n roll though.

The "synthy theremin thing" is in fact not a theremin (though I do have one) but some free synth that I just hit the randomize button on a bunch of times and came up with something close to what you hear.. then tweaked a bit and then played mainly with the pitch wheel to get the effect. Pretty cool if I do say so myself. So much cool free plugins these days.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

will.record.for.food
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by will.record.for.food » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:47 am

Mike....WOW!

thats all I have to say...WOW!, and I am definently buying your CD!
http://www.purevolume.com/goodfightgoodnight
Torches together, hand in hand

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:01 am

I did buy it, and got it last week. Really good stuff.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: First recording with Hamptone (slow indie rock)

Post by bobbydj » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:28 am

dynomike wrote:I used the hamptone on bass di, vocals, and guitar di which I then did a ghetto reamp (console line outs) to my musicman hd130.

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm gonna futz a bit more with the kick n bass, and the background vocals. Might add a high capo'd acoustic part in the second verse too. Check it out and let me know how it can improve.. not a final mix.

160kbps mp3 (~7 megs)

Mike
Good song and recording. I like it.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:31 am

bobbydj in the house

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:23 am

:blush:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

will.record.for.food

Post by will.record.for.food » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:49 am

I just ordered....Too bad im from TX and it will take a while to get here...i want it now!

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:29 pm

this is really nice. i am curious how large the tracking room is - the drums sound fantastic and roomy

this reminds me of another great ontario band "a northern chorus" - maybe you know of them? the use of bells is great too. i have been listening a lot to the new pinetop seven album "the nights bloom" and they use the bells a lot in a non beach boys way kind of like what you've done. sweet stuff.

i am so frustrated with the density of my recordings - this type of space is not easy to achieve! well done.
the new rules : there are no rules

FirstNLast
audio school

Post by FirstNLast » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:21 am

Very nice listen. Thanks for that.

I have no idea what a Hamptone is, either.

mcdisease
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcdisease » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:37 pm

I tried buying your CD. I think it's great, but something is wrong with paypal. This sucks.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:33 pm

mcdisease wrote:I tried buying your CD. I think it's great, but something is wrong with paypal. This sucks.
That DOES suck. Try it again and email me if it doesn't work.

Jon.. no I've never heard of "a northern chorus".. I'll try to check that out! Another guy said I reminded him of Wooden Stars (another Ottawa band) and I dig their stuff, but hadn't heard of them at the time. I'm glad you like the drumsound.. its very unconventional mic'ing for me. I didn't actually use any room mics as I recall, but wide pattern mics all around and it is a fairly live sounding room. Not big though. 7 foot ceilngs, wood floors, not rectangular but around 20x30 or so?

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

will.record.for.food

Post by will.record.for.food » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:55 am

Mike...I got the CD last night. Everything sounds phenominal! Great great job. I would have never guessed this was a home production.

I love the music. Its what I intend my music to sound like (before I get lazy)

mcdisease
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcdisease » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:20 pm

dynomike wrote:
mcdisease wrote:I tried buying your CD. I think it's great, but something is wrong with paypal. This sucks.
That DOES suck. Try it again and email me if it doesn't work.

Jon.. no I've never heard of "a northern chorus".. I'll try to check that out! Another guy said I reminded him of Wooden Stars (another Ottawa band) and I dig their stuff, but hadn't heard of them at the time. I'm glad you like the drumsound.. its very unconventional mic'ing for me. I didn't actually use any room mics as I recall, but wide pattern mics all around and it is a fairly live sounding room. Not big though. 7 foot ceilngs, wood floors, not rectangular but around 20x30 or so?

Mike
Sweet. I figured it out today! It was an internet security setting.