5 Albums That Changed Your Life

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Mon May 26, 2008 11:22 pm

I tend to go through life with a fairly hardened thought process. What I like about music is that it knocks that process on its ass every once in a while. My albums in no order:

minor threat minor threat - Just make music you care about.
fugazi In On the Kill Taker - perfect guitar lines.
Aphex Twin I care because you do - how did he do this?!?!
Avalaches Since I left you - i got married to this album...
Ravel Bolero - the first time I heard this was driving home from a Warriors game with my dad. The slow build blew me away when I was a kid. If you like this, the remix from the Femme Fatale soundtrack is great too)
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue May 27, 2008 6:24 am

Fun thread!

Synchronicity (The Police) was the first album I bought with my own money, so that's 'got to be on the list. Since then, I've never not owned a copy of it and I still listen to it with some regularity. I'm pretty much to a point where the entire Police catalog gets equal billing as far as what I like, but Synchronicity never fails to please. AND it got me started.

My Favorite Things (John Coltrane) is the first jazz record I got where I really started to "get it." I had some early Miles before then and some fusion stuff and I had always liked Dave Brubeck, but hearing Elvin, McCoy, and Steve Davis supporting Coltrane really made me want to hear more of that KIND of jazz. I listened to that album over and over again, each time getting pulled-in further and further. When I first heard it, it was confusing to me, but I liked it and I wanted to know why. Other, older, smarter people I knew got it and I wanted to know whet there was to get. That album helped me figure it all out. Of course, a few years later, I would hear Coltrane Plays The Blues, which would become one of my favorites of all time, but it wasn't until a while after that that I discovered that those two albums had been recorded on the same session. And God bless Tom Dowd for getting it all on tape.

Spilt Milk (Jellyfish)- I remember hearing "That Is Why" on the radio and thinking it was by The Rembrandts. I loved the song, but never went out and bought that Rembrandts album. About a year later, when I got to college, a friend of mine got Spilt Milk and played it for me. From the very intro, I knew that album was going to blow me away and it totally did. I became a huge Jellyfish fan form that point on and was fortunate enough to see their last show, ever. (Of course, none of us knew it at the time.)

Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit- A friend of mine called me from Colorado about a month after this record came out and said "Man, you've got to get this album." I was going to see them on the HORDE tour, so I figured I should get the album beforehand and check it out. The intro to that record is a perfect welcome to the carnival show that this band was early-on. I was so amazed and stunned and confused by this crazy introduction, which is followed by this absolutely burning, silly rendition of "Fixin' To Die," which then blasts into one of the baddest solo ever played by anyone on any instrument ever (Matt Mundy's mandolin solo). The record remains nutty from there and the group remained nutty for years after that. There was so much freedom within that group, even though the group was basically playing a combination of blues and bluegrass. Amazing to me at the time and still enjoyable to listen to today.

Faso Denou (Farafina)- Farafina was the first true West African ensemble I remember seeing, and as such, it was the first West African album I ever bought. Truly amazing performers and a total life-changing experience for me. I still kind of become a different person when I hear that music. Every time I've ever seen a good West African group perform, it's been an extremely powerful experience. This was the group that started it all for me.

Other runners-up:
Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (Joni Mitchell)
Tres Hombres (ZZ Top)
t.j. kirk (t.j. kirk)
Nine Objects Of Desire (Suzanne Vega)
The Blackened Air (Nina Nastasia)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue May 27, 2008 6:44 am

*is surprised and relieved to see another Suzanne Vega fan here*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Tue May 27, 2008 7:35 am

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Sly and the Family Stone - Brand New Thing
Swirlies - Blondertoungaudiobaton
Sebadoh - III

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Tue May 27, 2008 9:29 am

1. Run DMC - Raising Hell
- The first album I ever owned.

2. NOFX - Ribbed
- First album I ever bought.

3. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
- I saw these guys 3 times on this tour. Blew my mind every time.

4. Fifteen - Extra Medium Kickball Allstar
- This record gets me all riled up, even now.

5. Larry Brrrds - Split w/ the Lynyrds Innards on What Else Records
- This little 7" spoke volumes to me. 4 songs in 3 minutes. Recorded entirely in 1 take. Might as well be a photograph of my youth.

KungFuLio
audio school graduate

Post by KungFuLio » Tue May 27, 2008 12:12 pm

There have been so many twists and turns in my musical life. Started out with the usual... stones, beatles, zeppeilin, pretty mainstream stuff. Lots o' jazz and classical via school but all the interesting stuff came afterwords.

Mark Isham - Soundtrack to "Trouble in Mind" The first time I "heard" music in a movie.

Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth - Dean Parks+Massenburg+Lyle's Writing+Matt Rawlings=OMG

Jonatha Brooke - Steady Pull - She seems to have found here real producer with this album. Plays a big influence on my approach to mixing.

Bill Frisell - Lookout For Hope - Finally someone took jazz an innovative direction.

Camper Van Beethovan - Key Lime Pie - An album from the 80's I really enjoyed, tried to emulate a little, but moved on. I still like to hear it when any of the songs pop up on my iTunes

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Tue May 27, 2008 12:24 pm

What's the Story (Morning Glory)? by Oasis, Black Foliage by Olivia Tremor Control, Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One by Yo La Tengo, and Harvest by Neil Young.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue May 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Funny that there's not a lot of overlap. I wonder how many people are self-editing to avoid repeats? Or to avoid having to explain worshiping Dark Side Of the Moon at age 17? Could it be that the DJ Shadow fans are the only honest folks here :lol:
Prog out with your cog out.

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Tue May 27, 2008 6:59 pm

I swear to God this changes like ... every other day - and I will leave off obvious (to me at least) albums like Stevie Wonder's 'Talking Book', The Beatles 'White Album', all Zeppelin records and Neil Young's 'Harvest' because I'm sure they have all been listed so far ... (though those albums really did kick my ass!)

Self Subliminal Plastic Motives
Jude No One Is Really Beautiful
Ben Folds Five Whatever and Ever Amen
Elliott Smith Either/Or
Ray LaMontagne Trouble

PS - can't not mention System of a Down's Toxicity
Last edited by andrewfoshee on Thu May 29, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue May 27, 2008 8:27 pm

superaction80 wrote:Funny that there's not a lot of overlap. I wonder how many people are self-editing to avoid repeats? Or to avoid having to explain worshiping Dark Side Of the Moon at age 17? Could it be that the DJ Shadow fans are the only honest folks here :lol:
DSOTM is good, but Meddle is where it's at for me.

i was really into Pink Floyd from 1981 until sometime in 1992 and i still like the pre-DSOTM stuff alot.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 am

RefD wrote:*is surprised and relieved to see another Suzanne Vega fan here*
I'm a huge Suzanne Vega fan. Huge.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed May 28, 2008 4:26 am

superaction80 wrote:Funny that there's not a lot of overlap.
Putting a five album limit on the board regulars here is like asking ants to take only one crumb. Ask for the 50 best biscuits and you'll get overlap.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 am

cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Me too.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 28, 2008 7:21 am

lysander wrote:
cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Me too.
btw, there's a really good interview with Vega about the genesis of the album "Days of Open Hand" in Musician magazine from sometime in '90...i forget the month (i have it in the other room but i don't wanna wake up the baby) but it has Robert Plant on the cover.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 am

Late to the thread

In no order really, there are more but these are the recordings that I listened to a lot

Dinosaur ? 1st Lp- I liked the songs and the guitar playing sounded cool (my age 14)

Tad- Cooking w/Gas 7?- My 1st SubPop record after joining the singles club, great stuff (my age 15)

Paul Simon- (on Cassette) the album with ?Mother and Child Reunion? ? great songs and recording (my age 6)

Blue Cheer ?Outside Inside- Leigh Stephens was my guitar hero (my age 19)

Accused- Maddest Stories Ever Told- I never liked metal before hearing this. (my age 15)
Last edited by Electro-Voice 664 on Wed May 28, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."