Finally, something to post.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Finally, something to post.

Post by workshed » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:31 pm

Here's a little dirgy instrumental interlude thing I finished up a couple weeks ago. Did everything myself, whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Song is called "Ship Sinks Fast," and it's under my glacially-paced solo project, Corvette Summer. Comments, accolades and blind, hateful threats are welcome.

>> ship sinks fast <<

fromthecurve
ass engineer

Post by fromthecurve » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:24 pm

I really liked this. Sort of disorienting. How did you get that guitar sound?

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:41 pm

fromthecurve wrote:I really liked this. Sort of disorienting. How did you get that guitar sound?
Thanks! Disorienting is good. :D

Two guitar tracks, one panned left: my telecaster going through a Tech 21 Trademark 120, SM57 on the grille, Superlux kick mic on the back, V67G as room mic, all mixed to flavor.

Right: Same mics except using a Les Paul copy with P90s, and a Boss DS-1 to help boost the feedback. Room mic was placed on the stairway landing, so there is a natural room reverb there. I didn't use any outboard or plug in reverb on the guitars.

The melody sound is a Yamaha Electric Piano instrument from Logic Express, with the sustain cranked and a ton of reverb on it. Used an M-Audio Midi controller for that.

The thing that is probably causing the most disorientation is the drums, which is what I'm least happy with... I did a crappy performance and then I think I've overcompressed the main part too much so the 1st beat of each measure is over-emphasized. Might need to fix that.

Anyhow, thanks for listening.

fromthecurve
ass engineer

Post by fromthecurve » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Yep, I meant it as good.

I actually have a Tele and a TM60 (and a '57 for that matter), so this is info I can use! Do you have any tips on mic'ing the back of the cabinet? I've done it a few times with great results, but often it doesn't work for me and I end up scrapping it. Or is it more in the blending with other mics?

Cool stuff, thanks for posting it.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:25 pm

fromthecurve wrote:Yep, I meant it as good.

I actually have a Tele and a TM60 (and a '57 for that matter), so this is info I can use! Do you have any tips on mic'ing the back of the cabinet? I've done it a few times with great results, but often it doesn't work for me and I end up scrapping it. Or is it more in the blending with other mics?

Cool stuff, thanks for posting it.
I don't think I'd recommend mic'ing the back unless you do it in conjunction with another mic on the front or at least a DI signal. In my experience, mic'ing the back gets mostly low end and you lose a lot of mids and high frequencies. If you don't have a kick mic, but have another 57, you can put the 57 up close in the back and use the proximity effect to get more bass. But it is all about the blend.

For my own band, which just finished tracking recently, I did three mics for one of the guitarists (ATM PRO-25 on the back, SM57 on the front, and DI signal on his 15w Fender Musicmaster Bass combo) and really like a mix of all three signals the best. The clean DI really adds a lot of definition in the mids. I found myself wishing I had done the same for the other guitarist.

Anyhow, it's probably all overkill, but I'd rather have more to work with than have to go back and redo takes. :-)

Hope this helps. Thanks again for the comments.

-Bret

fromthecurve
ass engineer

Post by fromthecurve » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:32 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info. I usually use a 57 or an Audix I5 in the front, with the other one in back (they're pretty similar). But I have an ATM25, so I'll try that. We seem to have a lot of the same gear!

And I never use DI, so that's worth a try, too.

Thanks again.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:17 pm

this is really cool!

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:36 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:this is really cool!
Gracias!

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:38 pm

fromthecurve wrote:Awesome, thanks for the info. I usually use a 57 or an Audix I5 in the front, with the other one in back (they're pretty similar). But I have an ATM25, so I'll try that. We seem to have a lot of the same gear!

And I never use DI, so that's worth a try, too.

Thanks again.
I've been wanting to get an I-5 since I took the Jackpot! recording workshop over the summer. They have a nice tone compared to the 57s and are pretty damn affordable. You might try the I5 on the front and the 57 on the back... yay for cheap gear! I'm all about stretching my dollars.

-Bret

fromthecurve
ass engineer

Post by fromthecurve » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:53 pm

The I5 is very cool. It seems to capture a little more bass than my 57. I use it more on guitar amps, the 57 more on snare drums. I'd definitely recommend it.