New DAMMITHEADS...mass Joel Hamilton content!!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

heylow
george martin

New DAMMITHEADS...mass Joel Hamilton content!!

Post by heylow » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:14 pm

So...the new Dammitheads record, The Heart of the Matador, is finally officially out.

I thought it'd be fun to post this. I'm not looking for any critiques or anything...no pressure...enjoy it or don't. I just figured at least a few people might be interested for the the following reasons:

A) Some of you had asked about it before the old board went down and many were very supportive of the first record.

B) MASS Joel Hamilton content. The record was mixed by Joel at Studio G. We had a lot of fun and he did a great job. I thought some might be interested in some of Joel's handiwork as well. He's amazing.

C) This is cool....if you navigate to the PHOTOS page, there is a section of Studio G photos and a slew of movies: 2 whole songs featuring a lot of footage of the making of the record, Joel's place and Brooklyn in general. There are a few other snippets there too...more funny Joel stuff, oddly. For those who only know Joel as a name in cyberspace, this stuff is a must. The guy is ridiculously funny. There's a lot of footage in there of Joel driving us through Brooklyn and a bunch of stuff shot from the balcony of his apartment as well.

D) The artwork was done by a very talented guy named Ben Cooper. You may remember him as the very "wangtangular' BEAR from the old board.

I'm stoked about this record and a lot of it has to do with the involvement of the above individuals and a few others who helped make it bigger than just us as a band. Carla Kihlstedt from Book of Knots graciously came in and put down some amazing violin on "Painting of the Sea". She knocked it all out in under an hour and witnessing her at work is easily one of the coolest experiences of my musical life.

Anyway, I'll shut up. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions though Joel would likely have to answer many of them. We tracked it ourselves but Joel in mixing is something to behold....just the king of off the cuff; breaking out synths, tape loops, record players....you name it. Joel's got a great way of getting involved to the point where it just felt like a bunch of good friends just happening to be all working on the same record.

Thanks for reading/listening and it should be stated that without TapeOp as a great mag and board, none of this would have happened....so blame them. :wink:

heylow

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:29 pm

I was checking out your site last nite heylow, and saw the Ben Cooper artwork, and the studio G photoshow.. Looking forward to listening, congrats!
beware bee wear

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:11 pm

What do i need to play those movie files?

That record is great! I wanna see the videos!!!!!!!!!!!

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:24 pm

you need quicktime

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:31 pm

eskimo wrote:you need quicktime
I have quicktime, I dunno what "compressor is missing" and it doesnt seem to exist on the server....

Totally lame!

WHY?

I have QT 6. something on this computer in the kitchen at the studio...
I guess I will have to try with QT7 at home....

L-A-M-E!

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:48 pm

i had to upgrade to qt7 to watch them.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:25 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I have quicktime, I dunno what "compressor is missing" and it doesnt seem to exist on the server....
Who'd have thought Joel Hamilton would be lacking a compressor...

CG

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:28 pm

cgarges wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:I have quicktime, I dunno what "compressor is missing" and it doesnt seem to exist on the server....
Who'd have thought Joel Hamilton would be lacking a compressor...

CG
I know, right? SO embarrasing... I guess I need QT7... frig. I wonder if the old G3 B&W I am posting this on can deal....

This G3 is just so RETRO!

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:17 pm

man Heylow, cool stuff. But I am having a hell of a time with the blue fonts on your site, I can't read that shit

I have 20/20 and all I have to highlight it to read it :cry:
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:24 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys.

You guys HAVE to see the videos though....they're ridiculously cool/funny, at least in the studio geek world. Ha! Granted, I have friends outside of the studio geek world that just don't get what all the fuss is about. :wink:

So check, check it out. Yeah, I think you need QT7. Joel...you'll have to smack Steve about that. The vids are his deal.

For those who maybe don't even want to mess with QT, there is a great prog called Quick Time Alternative that rules!

Go HERE and scroll down till you find it. The other "alternatives" are great too...I don't even use Windows Media Player, QT or Real anymore. This does it all but it does require you to uninstall those progs to work right.

Lemme know what you guys think of the vids though! This whole project has been a blast.

heylow

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:26 pm

Everybody's X wrote:man Heylow, cool stuff. But I am having a hell of a time with the blue fonts on your site, I can't read that shit

I have 20/20 and all I have to highlight it to read it :cry:
Which blue fonts? Am I a retard? What'd I miss?

heylow

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:37 pm

ok here http://www.ourdamnwebsite.com/ the darker backgrounds on the bottom, Im using firefox if that matters and your links are blue, but pretty much anything over that dark background is a bitch to read on my 19" monitor from 2 feet away
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:49 pm

Finally saw the stuff....

I totally forgot about the "jam head" thing.... like nodding to the music and smiling and you cant deny the jam.... Awesome... SO skin crawling.

The footage in the videos is f'n hilarious... It is also funny to see my street in bed stuy, right in front of my apt!!!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:34 am

all sessions should be as fun as these look!

thanks for the videos!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:36 am

Everybody's X wrote:ok here http://www.ourdamnwebsite.com/ the darker backgrounds on the bottom, Im using firefox if that matters and your links are blue, but pretty much anything over that dark background is a bitch to read on my 19" monitor from 2 feet away

Yeah, OK....in Firefox. We're on it. Thanks....and it IS obnoxious!

heylow