Motown, Oldies, 60's Rock'n'roll... lookin' for inspiration

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Motown, Oldies, 60's Rock'n'roll... lookin' for inspiration

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:38 am

I'm way into DIY recording, particularly my own brand of high-energy punk/country/rock'n'roll.

I really love the Sun Records stuff, and totally dig most of what I've heard from Motown. I look to this stuff for inspiration on how I want things to sound. Stylistically, we're miles apart but I especially like the Supremes...

I've gotten my best results so far on a reel of 1/4" inch 201 which is older than I am.

I used to practice my ears on the oldies station but they went under.

A local record store with an enormous catalog of used vinyl is selling off their stock at half-price. They're moving. This is the perfect time for me to stock up on old vinyl.

The question is: what should I look for? I'm looking for a list of people's favorites from the 60's here...

Any takers?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Motown, Oldies, 60's Rock'n'roll... lookin' for inspirat

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:59 am

Andy Smash wrote:I'm way into DIY recording, particularly my own brand of high-energy punk/country/rock'n'roll.

I really love the Sun Records stuff, and totally dig most of what I've heard from Motown. I look to this stuff for inspiration on how I want things to sound. Stylistically, we're miles apart but I especially like the Supremes...

I've gotten my best results so far on a reel of 1/4" inch 201 which is older than I am.

I used to practice my ears on the oldies station but they went under.

A local record store with an enormous catalog of used vinyl is selling off their stock at half-price. They're moving. This is the perfect time for me to stock up on old vinyl.

The question is: what should I look for? I'm looking for a list of people's favorites from the 60's here...

Any takers?
The Jackson 5. "I Want You Back" contains one of the best basslines ever, and a fantstic arrangement besides.

The Temptations. "Get Ready," "Just My Imagination," "The Way You Do the Tihings You Do." "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone."

Stevie Wonder, "Sir Duke." Among hundreds of others.

Diana Ross and the Supremes. Like you said.

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. "You Really Got a Hold On Me," "Tears of a Clown," "Shop Around, "Tracks of My Tears."

Marvin Gaye. "What's Going On." The whole album, really.

The Chambers Brothers. "Time (Has Come Today)." You wanna learn how to use tape echo, listen to the Chambers Brothers. That badass tune in S.W.A.T. where they're breaking into the 747? yup.

The Commodores, "Brick House." Yup, the fucking Commodores. With Lionel Richie and everything.

The Four Tops, "Baby I Need Your Loving."

The Blood, Sweat and Tears version of "You Made Me So Very Happy" has a great vibe.

Lots of these records are great for hearing unconventional stereo placement and mixing. I'm listening to the 4 Tops tune now in headphones and the drumset is all the way over to the left (it is on the Blood Sweat and Tears tune too), and not in that really strangely clinical Beatle way either...it fits together more...gently, for lack of a better word. The Beatle stuff (and I am a huge Beatle fan) always sounded like "hey! we put all the drums on the left channel!" these tracks sound like "oh yeah, the drummer was over on that side of the room." Even in headphones it's more balanced.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:29 am

I'll second Smokey and the Miracles - probably my fave motown stuff.

As far as 60's, whew!..

jack nitzsche, the troggs, yardbirds, animals, stones, beatles, hollies, VU, pink floyd, everly brothers (their 60's stuff is brilliant and underrated..), and about a gazillion others.

buy original lps, and buy mono if you can. if you like the mono, get the stereo as well.
beware bee wear

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:31 pm

[If you haven't, see the documentary film 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' all about the Funk Brothers.]

Aside from the standards, I love the sound of 'Tell Him' by The Exciters
and
'My Lover's Prayer' by Otis Redding
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:37 pm

logancircle wrote:If you haven't, see the documentary film 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' all about the Funk Brothers.
Seconded.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:07 pm

I'll have to check out Standing in the Shadows of Motown. I wanna watch "Ray" just to see if there's any good studio action. I actually do occasionally watch the Lawrence Welk show just to see how they used the kind of gear I can afford (i.e. stuff that's 30 years obsolete).

I guess I'm gonna have to scare up a stand-alone phono amplifier, because my digital tuner just doesn't do my record player justace. Or maybe I should just set the thing up in the studio and listen through monitors--play with the EQ & what-not.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Anything with Roger Hawkins or Al Jackson on drums. There's DEEP stuff on those records. If I ever played half as good as the groove on "I'll Take You There" for like two minutes of my life, I'd be one bad dude.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:51 pm

The bassline on Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" is amazing. Jamerson could lay it down like a mofo. Definitely watch the Shadows of Motown movie if you haven't seen it. If nothing else, you'll gain a new appreciation for the tamborine. (that tamborine player is SICK!!)

shawn

fischer, max
audio school

Post by fischer, max » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:12 am

there are a handful of threads in the archive about the zombies and their masterpiece "odessey and oracle." that badboy transcends awesome for so many reasons.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Re: Motown, Oldies, 60's Rock'n'roll... lookin' for inspirat

Post by Kyle Motor » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:40 am

dwlb wrote:The Jackson 5. "I Want You Back" contains one of the best basslines ever, and a fantstic arrangement besides.
This cannot be overstated. Incredible song. If you can find a copy of the "Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5" LP, get it. Its got "I Want You Back" and other great stuff, like the soul ballad "Who's Lovin You". Hear an 11 year old Michael singing with more soul than should be allowed. I think the 45 of those two songs has a different mix with fewer strings (sounds better to me).

Keep an eye out for Dave Clark 5 albums, and only buy the mono ones (some of the later stereo ones are ok, but the stereo ones pre-1966 sound pretty bad). The first two have some clunker novelty tracks, but they all have worthwhile songs, and all the albums are really short anyways. They're a really underrated band, and the drums always sound cool on their records. Plus, they still sound good even if the vinyl is kinda beat up because they were pressed really loud.

And in the country/rock vein, find a copy of Sir Douglas Quintet's "Mendocino" album. Great stuff.

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:42 am

good call on the DC5 - the original stompers!
beware bee wear

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:59 pm

I reccommendd getting all the current 180g 12" Velvet Underground reissues..they sound fantastic and are each a classic..and they go for only 11$ each but you may not be into them..i dont know..

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:37 pm

The mono 'VU and Nico' is gorgeous.
beware bee wear

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:58 pm

Shawn1272 wrote:If nothing else, you'll gain a new appreciation for the tamborine. (that tamborine player is SICK!!)

shawn
Right! On!

Indeed, has anyone else ever played tamborine that well? Sheezus!

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:03 pm

joeysimms wrote: buy original lps, and buy mono if you can. if you like the mono, get the stereo as well.
Don't forget the Kinks! Something Else..., Village Green, and Arthur are especially good. Look for the import reissues with the bonus tracks and mono versions.

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.