New EELS album

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

New EELS album

Post by biasvoltage » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:29 pm

Diggin it.

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

diggin' it too, but....

Post by junkyardtodd » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:47 pm

there are quite a few instances of really horribly cheesy sounds (ala the "HEY"'s on 'Going Fetal') Is that something he does on purpose to be, like, ironic or something?

Enquiring minds wanna know!
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.

Stephen Horsley
pluggin' in mics

Post by Stephen Horsley » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:01 pm

I love it too. I reckon its the best since electro shock blues. The eels just played in Auckland, was a great show. What was shocking tho, was that nearly every song has more or less the same chord progression. Its all C D A E G, moved up and down the capo. Its pretty amazing that hes been writing the same song for 10 years, and its still sounding pretty fresh.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:51 pm

Love most Eels music, but E's voice is rapidly going to shit. it's 90% rasp and overtones these days- which would be OK if he didn't write such great melodies.