Miles Davis Cellar Door Sessions...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Miles Davis Cellar Door Sessions...

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:02 pm

I would never be one to recommend the illegal downloading of music, I hear it's killing the music industry and all...

(google bit torrent, miles davis and cellar door)

But, I know there are some Miles fiends like me on this board, and this stuff is amazing! For those of you who don't fiendishly obsess over every piece of Miles trivia, in 1970, Miles' then current band played four nights at the Cellar Door in DC, the band being Gary Bartz, Keith Jarret, Michael Henderson, Jack Dejohnette and Airto. On the last night, John Mclaughlin joined them. All four nights were recorded, and a highly edited version was released as Live Evil. As part of Sony/Columbia's ongoing attempt to reap as much $ as they can from their vaults, they scheduled a release of the complete recordings in a 6-cd box set. The set went out for reviews, and in September, the majority of the jazz/new music press, Signal to Noise, the Wire, Downbeat, etc, raved about this set, due for release the last week of Sept. A week before the release date, Miles' estate pulled the plug on the release. Originally, it was merely delayed a month, then (and currently) delayed indefinitely.

This is not only sad, because the music is absolutely amazing, but it's an incredibly stupid move. It took me about 10 minutes to find a Bit Torrent of the whole release, and I have been listening to it nonstop for a week.

Anyway, the music is, as I said, amazing, a totally intuitive band redefining Jazz on a nightly basis. Many of the tunes are repeated from night to night, and it's very cool to see how they develop. And very cool to compare to Live Evil to see what was used where. Keith Jarrett is particularly interesting, he's got one of the most unique approaches to the rhodes I've ever heard, and as many of you probably know, totally disavowed the instrument, in fact all electric instruments, immediately after leaving this band. Too bad, but at least we have his playing here, and it's terrific. Miles' himself sounds great, his playing here is as strong as ever in his career. And of course, Mclaughlin completely chews up every tune he's on.

recording quality is pretty good, considering it's a live recording from 1970. Drums are boxy and a little distant, but the bass tone is one I'd kill for. Sax sounds distorted often, but still listenable.Overall sound quality is much better than some of the early re-issues of Live Evil.

Anyway, this is an important set of recordings, and it's a shame it's not officially available.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:18 am

They pulled the release? You gotta be kidding.

Thank God TS got hold of that '57 Monk and Train recording. That thing's amazing.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:09 pm

Ive been shitting my pants over the jack johnson box for a long time now. I wish they'd just release every inch of tape that rolled on those '68-70 sessions. I *think* something from the jack johnson sessions appeared someplace on the live evil release.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

horacesqueeze
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by horacesqueeze » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:14 pm

Man, that What I Say on disc 4 burns, tears and rips!

Caliente!

Thanks for the heads up aboput this wonderful set!
3 Things to remember : Bones Heal, chicks dig scars and America has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world!

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:40 pm

dude, how the F long does bitorrent usually take, been downloading this for like 3 days now...

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:38 pm

soundguy wrote:dude, how the F long does bitorrent usually take, been downloading this for like 3 days now...

dave
It depends on your upstream bandwidth as well as download. The more you are sharing with others, the faster your own download goes as well.

lanxe
gettin' sounds

Post by lanxe » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:36 pm

dude, how the F long does bitorrent usually take, been downloading this for like 3 days now.
Damn, i got like a week...........

anybody with a sucessful download want to trade for some other bootlegs or something else? bocookdot7@yahoo.com

Ryan

lanxe
gettin' sounds

Post by lanxe » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:48 pm

finally got it. ......thanks for the headsup

Ryan

myphx
audio school graduate

Post by myphx » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:39 am

Do you think they might release an abbreviated version of The Cellar Door Sessions? They did it with the box set versions of Bitches Brew, Silent Way and the Gil Evans material. Don't know if it will hurt the effectiveness of the music presented as a whole box, but at least more people will be able to hear it.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:54 am

UMMM

I think this got released finally, right? I feel like I was just holding it in a record store the other day. A friend of mine is a HUGE Keith Jarrett fan and he thinks these are some of the most amazing CDs he's ever heard.

I think they probably have it at www.yourmusic.com too. You all know about that, right? 5.99 CDs...no shipping...and the only catch is that you have to buy one CD a month.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly