New Paul McCartney

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:09 am

Right on! You tell him, brother.
hammertime wrote:Bullshit. The guy stinks. True -- he probably sounds as good as any of the other shit that some of you guys talk about (all this effeminate, whining singer songer writer shit I always hear you guys talk about). But lets not get personal. Different people can have different opinions. Some people like hearing a middle-aged stale mediocrity long past his prime playing hack chord progressions and singing banal lyrics.
joeysimms wrote:
dwlb wrote: Okay...so what do you consider good? What do you listen to?
dwulby - there's MUCH MUCH MUCH more to music than paul MCcartney's contributions, I don't know whay you're bothering. hammer/stillafool has said he likes old blues, lightnin hopkins, ac/dc, etc.. it's not like if you DON'T care for macca that you must not like anything.. C'mon.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:42 am

oh yeah... fucking hack chord progressions. that's the best part. what would you consider to be 'non-hack' chord progressions? just curious? is it because you just finished a really adventurous reharmonization of 'countdown' or 'giant steps' or maybe you're even past that and were getting into some carla bley shit? or are you still working on that whole '1-4-5' thing?

seriously, all personal shit aside, if you think mccartney's chord changes are hack, what would you consider to be non-hack?

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:52 am

Jesus H. effing Christ. I come back to this board after god knows how many months to check out the new digs and here we go again; some goddamn nimrod with his 'the Beatles really sucked' half-baked, hairbrained shitstorm. give me a break.

I guess there will be a never ending supply of folks who do this, not only with the beatles, but with other things too. Just as one crop gets old enough to know better, the next crop comes of age. Ahhh puberty.

I'd argue this if I felt like it was worth even the time it took me to write this reply.
Last edited by sad iron on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:52 am

joeysimms wrote:
dwulby - there's MUCH MUCH MUCH more to music than paul MCcartney's contributions, I don't know whay you're bothering. hammer/stillafool has said he likes old blues, lightnin hopkins, ac/dc, etc.. it's not like if you DON'T care for macca that you must not like anything.. C'mon.
If you inferred that I said he must not like anything if he doesn't like McCartney, then I was unclear. I was genuinely curious--McCartney doesn't do it for him, so what does? Where does he find the whatever-it-is that does it for him that he doesn't find in McCartney? It's always the invisible side to any "the artist you're praising sucks" argument--can you back that up with anything that is in any way informed? Much in the same way that someone who says that ribbon mics are crap better have some way to back it up, or at least some reson they prefer condensers, I'm gonna take someone a lot more seriously about whether an artist sucks if he is into Lightnin' Hopkins than it he's putting, say, Avril Lavigne up as the pinnacle of musical brilliance. Just saying "this guy sucks" leaves the discussion with nowhere to go, really.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:55 am

How about, say, Hendrix "1983" off of Electric Ladyland -- he didn't get those out of some little singer-songwriter chordbook, or take almost any other Hendrix song -- not just the chords themselves, but the unique way he voiced them, that were totally unique. Or take almost any Sly Stone song (e.g., Running Away, off of There a Riot), and you'll progressions, and rhythms that are unique. Or maybe Frank Zappa? Pick a song -- any song. But definitely not that wimpy shit you're playing, there Johnny boy.
toaster3000 wrote:oh yeah... fucking hack chord progressions. that's the best part. what would you consider to be 'non-hack' chord progressions? just curious? is it because you just finished a really adventurous reharmonization of 'countdown' or 'giant steps' or maybe you're even past that and were getting into some carla bley shit? or are you still working on that whole '1-4-5' thing?

seriously, all personal shit aside, if you think mccartney's chord changes are hack, what would you consider to be non-hack?

john

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:59 am

hammertime wrote:Bullshit. The guy stinks. True -- he probably sounds as good as any of the other shit that some of you guys talk about (all this effeminate, whining singer songer writer shit I always hear you guys talk about). But lets not get personal. Different people can have different opinions. Some people like hearing a middle-aged stale mediocrity long past his prime playing hack chord progressions and singing banal lyrics.
joeysimms wrote:

See, and then we get this. Lots of inflammatory language, followed by a very nicely-placed "let's not get personal." And a statement about how old McCartney is, which is from my point of view willfully ignorant of the fact that --hello--forty years ago he wasn't middle-aged, stale, or past his prime. Again, it comes back to: okay, so give me something from your CD collection that makes me take your opinion seriously. Otherwise you're just blowing crap out your ass.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:03 pm

Yo mama.
dwlb wrote:
joeysimms wrote:

See, and then we get this. Lots of inflammatory language, followed by a very nicely-placed "let's not get personal." And a statement about how old McCartney is, which is from my point of view willfully ignorant of the fact that --hello--forty years ago he wasn't middle-aged, stale, or past his prime. Again, it comes back to: okay, so give me something from your CD collection that makes me take your opinion seriously. Otherwise you're just blowing crap out your ass.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:05 pm

your argument doesn't seem to hold too much water. I don't think i'd consider anything that hendrix did harmonically advanced. musicall advanced, certainly, he was a genius. zappa, yeah, zappa is fucking amazing and complicated... but it's also not pop music. sly stone is good. if you'd mentioned stevie wonder as non-hack chord progressions in pop, i would have given you a little more credit, though. it seems like you really haven't actually checked out that much beatles music from any sort of analytical perspective, because i think you'd find it can actually be quite complicated at times. Also, all those artists you mentioned probably were influenced by the beatles in some way. also, your 'attempt at sarcastic humor' that was referencing some sort of imaginary 'songwriter's handbook'... ever stop to think which band would have written a huge chunk of it. hmmm.... starts with a 'b'. and don't worry, bowie is in there, too.

i think you've got some personal beef with the beatles, which if fine, but you really don't seem to have any actual grounds upon which to call it harmonically simple. i don't know, maybe you've got a masters in harmony and arranging, and them i might take your word for it, but i'd still want to see some song analysese to prove it.

john

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:06 pm

hammertime wrote:Yo mama.
dwlb wrote:
joeysimms wrote:

Thank you for making my point so eloquently. I have wasted all the time I wish to waste on you.

sleep over jack
ass engineer

Post by sleep over jack » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:28 pm

hammertime grew up in the 60's, but apparently hadn't really given the beatles a listen until recently, if that tells you anything. talk about missing the fuckin' boat.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:53 pm

Wow! Keep 'em coming. You guys are funny. That you actually start quivering when I criticize this idiot. To me, he's just another Gilligan, or Mike Brady, or Danny Partridge --. that is, just another mediocrity with a glittering coat of media bullshit. I love you guys. Keep 'em coming. :lol:

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:00 pm

dude, hammertime, i just want to have an intellectual discusion about what makes his chord changes 'hack'. seriously. i've studied ALOT about harmony and can't see where you're coming from. as an artist, particularly in recent years, he's not so much, and his lyrics have always been pretty trite, but as far as chord changes go, you have very little ground to stand on, and i'm merely standing here with about 10 years of studying harmony on the conservatory level asking you to bring what you have to the table other than your taste, and tell me why his chord changes are weak, or to retract that statement and still go on hating his music. i don't care. i don't give a fuck if you like his music, just back up your statements.

john

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:27 pm

nah, he'll just plop down some bullshit about Micky, Peter, Davy and Mike and continue to evade the question.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:24 pm

"don't feed the animals"...

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:30 pm

i wasn't actually 'troll' fighting or whatever, i actually wanted to see if mr. time could back up any of his claims, in an intellectual way, and it appears that he can't.

i'll take the lack of reply as an admission of not having the knowledge or understanding of music to answer.

keep hating whatever you hate, but don't make claims about it musically that you don't have any way of backing up.

cheers,
john