DUNGEN anyone??

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

norton
buyin' a studio

DUNGEN anyone??

Post by norton » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:37 pm

sweedish led zeppelin sounds, neuvo-psych-scandonavian-folk-pop??

really excellent sounding album.... i just saw a tape of them on conan obrien... and it's amazing how softly the drummer looked to be playing the kit. HUGE sounds.

i've been on a music buying kick. got to stay out of record stores. . . . . .

"all my money's gone and i just want to cry. "
-royston langdon -

chickenbop
gettin' sounds

Post by chickenbop » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:25 pm

That dungen record rocks.You like spacehog too?!They kicked ass.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:25 pm

Brilliant guitar sounds on that record. I was surprised that he did it in ProTools, I was convinced it was tape...

Bwanasonic
pluggin' in mics

Post by Bwanasonic » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:31 am

evan wrote:Brilliant guitar sounds on that record. I was surprised that he did it in ProTools, I was convinced it was tape...
Was it Pro Tools? I seem to remember reading it was tracked even more low tech than that. Some unspecified digital recorder. There was a piece in Guitar Player recently. I was sure these guys were holed up with a treasure trove of vintage gear and effects after listening to the album.

Kerry M

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:08 am

I belive he (Gustav) plays it all by himself on the record, mostly anyway, including the drums.

caz
gettin' sounds

Post by caz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:41 am

He recorded it all on a Korg D1600MKII---well...maybe:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?s ... code=10826
casimercasimir.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:40 pm

That's some impressive stuff, especially considering if it was done on the Korg. Lots of good stuff coming out of Sweden.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:04 pm

Mixed messages! I actually meant Cubase, since I was thinking of the Pitchfork interview with him:
Pitchfork Media wrote:Pitchfork: On Ta Det Lugnt the sound is so authentically old. How'd you accomplish that?

Gustav: We used old instruments, but we recorded it on a computer, so I don't know. We weren't trying to make it sound vintage, it just happened that way.

Pitchfork: Who did the recording?

Gustav: I did. But I got a little help with recording the vocals.

Pitchfork: So did you use Pro Tools?

Gustav: Cubase. I think the mixing part is important. I have been doing a lot of recordings. I've recorded myself for four or five years now and have been doing lots of experiments. I'm not that good an engineer-- so it always becomes a different song-- but I have ideas.
Anyway, it was digital, that's one thing for sure...but now that I listen back to the record, it doesn't sound so tape-y to me anymore. It seems to be more of the quality of the compressor that makes it sound the way it does.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:44 pm

i had no idea it was tracked outside a great live room... shoot those drums sure sound good. nice work dungen!

just goes to show that you can't let the gear get in the way... just make the damn music! can i follow that advice too? hmmmmmm

anyone hear the other dungen stuff? i've heard a snippit or two of another record... the rock seemed to be turned way down. with the 60's POP knob turned way up.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:28 am

agreed on the guitar sounds.. they're face melting at times.

great recordings overall

my favorite Dungen moment is in the song "Du E For Fin For Mig" at 7:07

that breakdown kills me.

Bwanasonic
pluggin' in mics

Post by Bwanasonic » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:39 am

I need to take another listen to the *bonus* CD that comes with Ta Det Lugnt. I seem to remember a more jazzy *Traffic/ Canterbury Scene* type sound. BTW- The way I heard Dungen was through www.davidbyrne.com . At the beggining of the summer he had a great playlist of all psych related stuff.

Kerry M

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:58 pm

they(he?) have no right to sound as sincere as they do. even the best 'revival' stuff still sounds like 'revival' stuff to me... except dungen. kudos.[/i]

slimjw
pluggin' in mics

Post by slimjw » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:46 pm

FWIW, the first and third songs on the album, Panda and Festival were recorded in a proper studio in Sweden. The rest of the stuff was tracked on the Korg. If you A/B those tracks with the other stuff you can totally hear the difference. Plus those are two of the songs that are getting the most attention.

The craziest thing for me to get my head around was that the guitar player used a PODXT for a lot of stuff. According to the GP interview, the secret weapon was the Echolette tape echo device. The guitarist was using it live when I saw them in Seattle and it definitely contributed a lot to the sound. Besides that, his effects chain was pure Hendrix; Crybaby, Fuzz Face, Axis Fuzz and Marshall 100 watt 1/2 stack. Great guitar work, though they had a lot of technical difficulties at the show I was at. Awesome band.

hiconfidence
audio school graduate

Post by hiconfidence » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 pm

great band...ive seen them five times in nyc...also recorded two shows for them @ bowery ballroom on 10/15 & 10/16...all i did was take a split off the stage mics and add a pair of room mics...no comp's, eq's, etc and they sounded great...

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:07 am

Weird...I was just listening to their CD tonight! I think most of their songs are about squirrels, since I can't tell what they're saying 8)