First recording with Hamptone (slow indie rock)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 pm

Caldo71 wrote:Everybody should get a copy of Mike's EP and support the cause...it's really good stuff beginning to end.
I'll second that!
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:43 am

dynomike wrote:Updated the file on my website. Same link, but it now has the acoustic guitar and some tiny changes in background vocal levels.
This does sound quite good! The pacing and the vocals remind me of some stuff from Low (the band, not the Bowie album).

Leigh

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:30 pm

Really nice... song, performance, technical geek stuff... all very solid. I'm going to remember to have another listen to this on my good speakers. +1 on the above... like a Low/Karate blend.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:11 am

WOW. it sounds GREAT. my mackie somehow seems really inadequate now.

i like the song too.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:13 am

alissa wrote:WOW. it sounds GREAT. my mackie somehow seems really inadequate now.
I hafta say that Mike's recordings sounded great pre-Hamptone as well, so it's definitely not all about the pres. He's just really good at mic placement, has built himself a nice room to work in, plays with authority, has a good ear. Gear is secondary, really. You know the drill. Though he does have a really appropriate mic locker I think.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:57 pm

I think I've pretty much like all your stuff. Just keep addin' to the pile.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

tonyoci
studio intern

Post by tonyoci » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:54 am

I really like it, you have a great sound on the instruments and the singing is hauntingly good. I can't suggest any changes but I think it's a little too long, though I have so suggestions on how to shorten it.

Tony

vmoney
audio school graduate

Beautiful

Post by vmoney » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:23 am

Wow - that is a really beautiful track in every way -- the songwriting, the performance and the recording. I love the fullness and spaciousness of it. I want that sound! Thanks for sharing your gear list and techniques. You've inspired me to go and try my hand at building one of those Hamptone kits...

-V-
+===================================+
The Famous -- indie/country/punk
http://www.thefamous.net
http://www.myspace.com/thefamous
"The Famous are an American original" -All Music Guide

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:26 pm

Totally kicks ass! I love it. Damn fine work, keep it up!
Harumph!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:38 pm

Let me join the chorus and say that this really is beautiful. I really like how open and clear the mix is - even on my crappy computer speakers at work.

Great stuff, man.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:51 am

Thanks muchly to everyone, my self-esteem-o-meter is through the roof. Plus, I can relax and not fiddle with this mix ever again.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

vmoney
audio school graduate

How was it mixed?

Post by vmoney » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:35 am

But when you were fiddling with the mix, what were you mixing it on? It really like how spacious and open it sounds.
The Famous -- indie/country/punk
http://www.thefamous.net
http://www.myspace.com/thefamous
"The Famous are an American original" -All Music Guide

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: How was it mixed?

Post by dynomike » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:48 pm

vmoney wrote:But when you were fiddling with the mix, what were you mixing it on? It really like how spacious and open it sounds.
In the box.. sonar 4. I have boston acoustics cr8's with a nad 2200 for monitors, which are alright. The amp is fantastic. You just have to get used to the slightly hyped top/botom of home hifis.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:38 am

Cool - great sounds. Love the guitar sound and especially the drum sound - particularly the ending. That's a killer kick sound.

So all the guitar on this was DI-ed and "ghetto reamped"?

I love the term "ghetto reamp"! It'd make a great brand name - the Ghetto Reamp - that's really an otherwise empty project box with two 1/4" female jacks at each end connected together! :twisted:

Of course, yes, I'm just kidding.... But it'd be kind of funny if it got someone to try reamping without thinking he needed to buy a more expensive impedance/level-matching reamp box. A box is the way to go if you've got the dough. However, don't most FX pedals have relatively lo-Z outputs (at least compared to a guitar pickup)? If guitar amps are happy with the signals from FX pedals (and FX pedals must be OK with them to since they're usually string together serially), seems like they should be relatively OK with a lo-Z input from a board or DAW.

Maybe I'll just make *myself* a fake Ghetto Reamp so that if I reamp somebody else's stuff, they won't bug out about the fact that I'm not using a fancy reamping box! :lol:

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:35 pm

Mike, what is the synthy sounding theremin sound? I have a sneaky suspicion I recognize it. I bought a Heathkit signal generator at an electronics repari shop closeout and have been trying to find applications for it for a long time. If it is, well played, those things are difficult to peg a melody with...

If not, it sounds great anyway.

Justin
Bipolar Production