I can't tell if I like this or not

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jackson Michaels
gimme a little kick & snare

I can't tell if I like this or not

Post by Jackson Michaels » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:11 am

http://www.hairychestedrecords.com/mp3s ... ughmix.mp3

ok, this has never happened to me before, I stayed up working on this song last night, this morning I listen to it again, and I can't tell if I like my mix or not.

I would love any comments or criticisms, it's under a minute and a half, it won't take you long.

Karlos the Jackal
ass engineer

Post by Karlos the Jackal » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:29 pm

I really like that buzzy keyboard and the drums (especially that stuttery part) but the screamy vocals are way to much for me -- they make me physically recoil.

I'm not much for screams anyway, so YMMV, but my reaction is that they were too loud and too always-there. Maybe even a quick return to the quieter vocals would help?

I totally love the drums and keys, though.

--K

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:29 am

Thats kinda cool. It sort of reminds of the danileson famile only meaner, more aggressive. It sounds like the low end info should come up a bit. Its hard to tell what instruments are in there. It it just keys and drums? I though i heard some guitar being the keyboard fuzz, i though i heard some kick drum but not sure.

The mix fits the song pretty well overal. If you listen to stuff like say the danielson famile, or the newer Dillenger Escape Plan (thats a stretch) but they have a similar production feel. I hope im not being too crticle, cause i totally liked it.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"