How big is your CD collection?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

How many CD's in your collection?

Under 200
12%
201 ~ 500
24%
501 ~ 1000
37%
1001 ~ 2000
10%
Over 2001 ~ A storage odyssey
16%

Total votes: 49

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

How big is your CD collection?

Post by jmoose » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:25 am

There's probably somewhere about 800-900 commercial CD's in my collection...I stopped counting when I got to the high 600's and that was a couple years ago!!! There's maybe another 300 or so of random stuff like burned bootlegs, comps, EP's and other junk that came without jewel cases.

I'm not even counting all the safty CDR's and other client projects, there's another 200 or so in that pile give or take and I know I've launched a bunch of the oldest stuff!
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:27 am

FWIW there's another 100 or so vinyl records around too...if only I had a turntable.

(sigh)

One of these days.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:13 am

Several hundred I done meself... dozens from contacts and colleagues... I think I've only bought maybe 4 or 5... Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy," a collection that included "Theme From Shaft," um... give me a minute, I'm thinking.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:02 pm

somewhere over 500... haven't counted in a while but i know a few hundred have been traded in over the years. thank god for the internet cuz i'm not trading as many in anymore.

i have a freind who does an online zine and has walk in closets full of cds from over the years. there should be an 'over 10,000' category on the poll for him.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:04 pm

I probably have < 100 commercial cds. I mostly have vinyl.
beware bee wear

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:39 pm

I peaked at about 2000 CD's at one time with an additional 3000 LP's, 1000 EP's, and 1000 7'' singles (not to mention a few thousand cassettes). I did a massive purge and am now sitting on an extremely manageable 1200 CD's, a few hundred LP's, zero EP's and a few hundred singles and cassettes. I just got really sick of all the clutter controlling my life (I'm a musician too with a small label, so add all that product to this scenario and it was just a nightmare).

My theory now is whenever I go too far above 1200 CD's, I simply purge some unnecessary stuff. I just keep the number steady. Works for me.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Yeah...when I moved about a year ago I started tossing cassettes which were scattered & cluttered all over. I don't have any clue what the count was but it was a lot...a couple three garbage bags of stuff. Some of 'em were labeled and the majority were fairly cryptic or had no label at all. I haven't even had a cassette deck hooked up for a few years. It's a bummer too, there was some good music there. [/i]
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:54 pm

This is an unfair question. I really don't have any CDs, but I've got like 5'000 records.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:15 pm

Girl Toes wrote:This is an unfair question. I really don't have any CDs, but I've got like 5'000 records.
Yah, I debated on what to title it. I thought about using "record" instead of CD because to me anything that's released is a record. But I figured more people would have CD's then vinyl around and if I said "record" then nobody would vote.

Maybe I shoud've said "music collection" or "round platter that plays prerecorded music" collection...

:roll:
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:18 pm

jmoose wrote:
Girl Toes wrote:This is an unfair question. I really don't have any CDs, but I've got like 5'000 records.
Yah, I debated on what to title it. I thought about using "record" instead of CD because to me anything that's released is a record. But I figured more people would have CD's then vinyl around and if I said "record" then nobody would vote.

Maybe I shoud've said "music collection" or "round platter that plays prerecorded music" collection...

:roll:
Well, that leads to another poll... people's record player usage. exclusive, to some times to no way.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:14 pm

I don't understand how music people get by without a turntable, no matter how old they are.

I have gone a couple years with just a radio shack tape recorder as my main stereo, but I knew I'd get a table again.
beware bee wear

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:51 pm

joeysimms wrote:I don't understand how music people get by without a turntable, no matter how old they are.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:42 am

I just bought a couple of new shelves for the CDs that were piling up all over my house. From my guestimation, it's about 1200, nt including stuff like rough mixes and reference copies of CDRs from stuff I've worked on.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:40 am

nX5 to the umpteenth millionth..I'm one and a bushell and a peck behind RobbyDj's mom (as usualler)..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:44 am

junkstar wrote:I peaked at about 2000 CD's at one time with an additional 3000 LP's, 1000 EP's, and 1000 7'' singles (not to mention a few thousand cassettes). I did a massive purge and am now sitting on an extremely manageable 1200 CD's, a few hundred LP's, zero EP's and a few hundred singles and cassettes. I just got really sick of all the clutter controlling my life (I'm a musician too with a small label, so add all that product to this scenario and it was just a nightmare).

My theory now is whenever I go too far above 1200 CD's, I simply purge some unnecessary stuff. I just keep the number steady. Works for me.
G. have you seen Tony's kid's room? its a bunk bed and four walls of floor to roof LP's..every room in the apartment is wall to wall to China..and then there is the storage unit which is FULL..